PHOTOS OF SULTANA RIDGE CRUX

bmhc_options

Anybody have any route photos of the crux of the sultana ridge (Mt. Foraker)?

I've read about a 55 degree slope section and I think I've seen a photo of it (in my previous Foraker message - how many days it takes to climb). Is it knife edge cornice? From the photos I've scene I can't see what's on the other side of this slope.

Is it a drop into oblivion?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no defined "crux" on this route- it is mostly walking on a broad ridge with a couple of narrow sections, and navigating some well concealed crevasses splitting the ridgecrest. The cornices that do exist are very easy to get around. There is nothing even close to 55 degrees. On the section between 12,400 and Foraker you will traverse some sidehill slopes up to maybe 35-40 degrees, and on the final 5000 feet up to the summit it does not exceed 40 degrees. Crosson might have the steepest climbing of the entire route, but not much steeper than the above.

Dude, any peak could have bad avalanche conditions. Its not any worse than lots of other routes in Alaska. Use common sense and think about what you are doing when you are doing it and you will have minimized the risk. There is a shit load more photos here...

http://www.nwclimber.com/climbing/trips/alaska2000/climbingforakerinfo/forakerclimbinfo.htm