[TR] Mt. Cashmere - East Shoulder 12/2/2006

telemarker

Trip: Mt. Cashmere - East Shoulder

Date: 12/2/2006

Trip Report:

Mt. Cashmere is huge. It dominates the view west from Wenatchee. Heading down Sunnyslope, one sees the East Shoulder of the mountain shooting out, begging to be skied. Fortunately, Travis had the same sentiment, so we headed up. Without the snow, one also notices that there's a logging road that zig-zags up the shoulder, making for a casual skin in the winter.

We started at about 3,200' and ended up at around 7,000'. It was therapeutic to feel the warm sun again, we both got sunburns. The smell of sweat and sunscreen and the heat reflected from the snow fooled me into thinking it was March, not December. The top 2,000' of vert was amazing powder skiing, over large hoar crystals. The bottom 3,500' coverage was thin, but just enough to allow us to keep the skis on and make careful turns amongst the stumps and rocks, occasionally finding filled in powder, all the way to the road. We tucked it to the gate from that point on.

Gear Notes:

110-88-103.

Approach Notes:

8 Mile Road to almost the 8-Mile Lake TH.

Trav skinning up logging road, looking back north.

skinning_up_resized.JPG

Looking south towards Stuart and Co.

Pan_of_Travis.JPG

Silver Spurs on Cashmere

Trees_Resized.JPG

Looking west towards big slide mtn.

me_resized.JPG

Stopping point.

lunch_spot_resized.JPG

The payoff. Great early season touring.

slope_resized.JPG

Edited by telemarker

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn, wish I woulda seen you guys. I headed solo over to the NW side and got in about 3000' of goodness. There was no crust on that side... Still needs another storm cycle but it's coming along great.

I'll be over there the week between Christmas and New Year if either of you want to head out.

- :brew:

Damn, wish I woulda seen you guys. I headed solo over to the NW side and got in about 3000' of goodness. There was no crust on that side... Still needs another storm cycle but it's coming along great.

I'll be over there the week between Christmas and New Year if either of you want to head out.

We saw your rig when we came out. I could spend the rest of the season farming for turns up there, so I'll be calling you around the holidays.

Hmmm... Let me guess? J's tracks on the right(smooth and sweet) Travs on the left(hurky & jerky). Ya I thought so. Its so fun to pitch Trav crap. Remember I have skied with you both so I know.

My turns are the ones on skier's right. Though the coverage turned out to be great up high, still you couldn't relax too much, wondering when you were going to get tripped up by a rock or stump. Travis was fueled solely on some Primus induced adrenaline.

So, when you gonna get some wild snow in? Robbie? The lifts are making you soft.

Was he set to see them on Sunday, or was it Friday? Good ol Primus to keep you skinin. Robs been skinin a couple of times already up the 'cicle. Can head out of DZ's yurt and go to top of J peak. Good 3500' of vert. Ski right to frot door. SWEEEEET. Nice stab at the lifts but Im getting in way more vert in than you guys! My estimate this season is 100,000' already! :moondance: My legs are ready! I havent forgotten how to skin(a little crystal method cranked up and head down) Its not how good you can skin but how rad you can turn when you get to the top. Remember that. Friday was super nice with little people and lots o snow. Nice little fresh drops off Bomber Wing all day

Was wonderin when Mr K would chime in. Looks like some fun with some more snow. Me no like stumps, they tend to dump me on me arse or my head. Get your turns in when u can though. Skins are aid. Did Trav wear a beacon? We wouldnt want him getting lost/buried now would we? Bye the way I wonder whos beacon that is anyway...Trav? :eveeel:

Yeah for sure would like to check out the north side.

At least I am not headed to some tropical local for the winter!? What getting to cold here for ya? By the time u make it back I will be at 300,000' at least! Hope you get a bad burn beotch. Soak it up man. Maybe you could summit the island, I heard its like 25' or somthing, go go, you can do it! Have fun travissing.

• 2 weeks later...

The Thai Restaurant serves exotic Chinese Food under the guise of "Thai Food".

On a brighter note...Wenatchee got its first Thai restaurant, in E. Wenatchee, Valley Mall Parkway. Mai Lee Thai Restaurant. Excellent food, like you're in Seattle. Check it out.

But I digress...

What about 'the Thai Restaurant' near Miller/Chelan Ave (I forget exactly)?

The Thai Restaurant serves exotic Chinese Food under the guise of "Thai Food".