Sport Climbers Compensational Needs

Dwayner

Hey! It's happy hour! Did you get your fill of pseudo-nachos, scrawny chicken wings "o'fire" and some of them machine-sliced spongy carrot sticks with "ranch dip"? (tastes mo like sheep dip, but that's another story). Here, make a little more room on your plate for a few extra cocktail weenies in BBQ sauce. The bartender seems extra-service-oriented tonight and I'm going to give him a couple extra quarters when were all through drinkin' and snackin'! Would that be about "closin' time?". No doubt! Now that I've got y'all in the mood.......and speakin of weenies, cocktail or otherwise.....I've been reading the various comments about drillin' and boltin'; boltin' and drillin'. And that, mixed with Pope's dirty mouth, I got to be thinking. Especially with this Girl- Repellent discussion. Could all of this drilling be a compensation, frustration or conquest thing? I ain't no psychoanalyst but this whole, or should I say "hole" thing about drills and holes might have some deeper meaning. You drill your hole, itself a provocative act, and then you fill it, and then you secure or celebrate your conquest by adding a hangar. Very primal. Maybe we can cure these sport-climbers by giving them gift-certificates to the Deja-Vu or Hooters. Perhaps this could be just the thing to get them to put down they're rock-rapin' machines and enjoy the crags on their (the crags) own terms.

Just an idea, that's all. Alright!! Our man behind the bar is refillin' the little bowl full of Chex party mix with them cool square pretzel things. Righteous! And while you're at it, another pitcher, please, guv'na, and a toast to all of you, both Trad-Monkeys and Sport-Dweebs! (although especially to you Trad-monkeys!) May the Lou be with You!

- Dwayner

[This message has been edited by Dwayner (edited 06-07-2001).]

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very astute observation Dwayner,

I once wrote a paper about phallic symbolism. Humankind sees the phallus as a symbol of power and conquest on some level. The Washington Monument, rotundas, domes (like those on state capitols and The Capitol), all erect penises standing, poking their "power" into the sky.

Have you ever noticed the phallic shape of most nuclear power plants? Where do they dispose of the waste? Yepper, a hole in the ground (a "gash" in Mother Earth no less). Sounds like Freud was right on; "Just because every member of a group shares the same psychosis does not mean they are not sick." Classic oedipus complex...

Zenolith! Thanks for the excellent anthropological commentary! And let us not forget the ultimate symbolic phallus in our society at large: the necktie. Myself? When I's needs to look perfesional or professorial, I wear a bow-tie. Sure, it makes me look like a dweeb, but at least I won't be going about suffering envy over a big 12 inch piece of cloth hangin' around my neck. (And they're typically pointed at the end in order to point down to where "the action is". An inobvious and perhaps subliminal statement.) And what about them pitons????? Bang em in, bang em out! Gewalt!

- Dwayner, still thinkin'.........alright, I think I'll have another beer!

What about the phallic symbolism of free-standing columns like the Rod of God? What psychic anguish occurred when the Trigger Finger fell over? shocked.gif

And in your learned opinion, what is the symbolism of deep caves like the ones found at certain Sport Climbing areas? Is iot symbolic of thesport climbers nreed to crawl back inside their MaMa and try again? Should rebirthing be banned? confused.gif

Good point Dru,

At Smith I've seen the sport climbers run for the caves and huddle inside when a cloud hides the sun. If it starts to rain they might be in there all day fiddling with their stick clips.

Another topic but how lame are those things? I've clipped a bolt or two but if I can't climb to the first one I figure i'd better go back to posing at the gym (which have neato padded caves sporting Giant Jugs).

This thread may be too new for trying to formulate generalizations, but based on the observations of these (see above) widely experienced and highly regarded climbers, may we conclude that, generally speaking, climbers have partitioned themselves into two camps, sport dogs and rock jocks, the members of which tend to climb geomorphic features (grottos and spires) that reflect their own genitalia?

• 6 years later...