Coffee

NTM

What are your favorite coffee shops in your neighborhood (Stumptown in PDX, Victrola in Seattle, etc...)? Least favorite? Why is it good/does it suck (service, coffee, whatever...)?

Just curious, plus I think it would be cool to have a list of places to hit up near me or when I go to other towns.

I personally like Vivace's coffee, but find most people who work there to be condescending. Victrola gets :tup::tup:

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

try the Starbucks by Safeway in Richland

*back to being serious*

Tri-cities best brew: Barracuda Coffee Co. on Van Giesen St. a couple blocks from the HWY240 bypass in Richland

edit: why: unique place, excellent coffee (zoka) and skillz at making drinks, free wi-fi, cool classic car theme esp. in restroom (owner sold classic '70 Barracuda for capital to start business)

Edited by ClimbingPanther

ooh, lots of these! (all in Seattle though)

Zoka in Greenlake - Great atmosphere, good stiff coffee, and free wifi for telecommuting :)

Cafe Allegro and Solstice in the U-district : Both have great vibes and good coffee.

Becoming a fan of All City Coffee down in Georgetown as well :)

Can someone explain the whole coffee culture thing to me? I had about 2 cups in my life and no matter how up dress it up with some gay name it still tastes bad.

You must be gay - whatever.

The Starbucks on Holman Road in Seattle - just because they have the HOTTEST barista.

The Cafe Appasionato in Magnolia Villiage - awesome smooth coffee and of course blistering hot baristas

The Cafe Ladro at the bottom of Queen Anne - awesome smooth coffee and of course blistering hot baristas

:yoda:

I like to down a mug of the watery, acidic, 12-hours-brewing-and-counting-in-the-old-school-upright-stainless variety - like the kind that you might find at a flying J truckstop in eastern Colorado - every once in a while just to get some perspective on the whole coffee thing.

u district zokas

hey has any one else noticed the new 7-11 disposable coffee cups with the lid that turns to open and close? they are swank! too bad there coffee sucks so bad. anyway i am thinking of keeping one and reusing it instead of buying one of those expensive jobbies. lightweight too.

Stumptown is, hands down, Portland's best cuppa. They are also, hands down, the biggest bunch of elitist pricks in town. So I buy my stumptown beans at New Seasons.

The coffee I had in the Army was easily the most vile, disgusting swill out there but I swear it was loaded with Benzedrine.

PDX:

Stumptown: the powell's of pdx coffeeshops. It might merit pointing out that stumptown is a roaster/blender first and its coffees are served at many many non stumptown locations. Part of being able to sling the stump requires all of the shops' baristas to attend stumptowns barista school so you are assured a fine cup of joe.

Sidenote: if you can't handle the barista's "attitude" at any one of the four locations perhaps the stick in your ass is sticking out so far that it is hitting people when you turn around. just a thought. but alas if you can't handle the "attitude" just buy the beans at any one of the local distributors and brew at home.

Stumptown's Hairbender blend is the standard IMO. In the wise words of Dre... "Let's get high!" :toad:

Albina Press: the french press here is exceptional. stumptown beans. their espresso drinks here are works of art. case in point:

11469Katie_climbing_011_2_.jpg

Coffeetime: 24 hours but the drinks are hit or miss (generally miss). Unsurpassed people watching.

Extracto: holy good espresso batman.

Fresh pot: I think you have to be a bike messenger to hang out here and generally the music is so loud you have to shout to order some days but alas... good coffee.

Urban Grind: good coffee right next to the Pearl REI... grab a cup next time you are pumping up for tearing your climbing helmet in front of the customer service people. :grlaf:

Baker and Spice: good coffee... best coffee cake in pdx. Hillsdale! Rep yo hood sucka! :wazup:

Hood River: dog river coffee... the best coffee shop... EVER?!?!?!?! How about this: free wifi as well as 2 free computers to use... an excellent selection of vinyl on the walls... stumptown coffee... breakfast burritos... quite possible some of the cutest baristas (especially the one with the anchor tattoo :wave:) and... if it wasn't enough... a SUBSCRIPTION TO ALPINIST for the masses to enjoy! Beat that. Check it out next time you are headed to Area 51 :tup:

the Dalles: Holsteins. If you are thinking about driving to horse thief in the dead of winter to escape the rain and climb some dry rock you can call the holsteins and they will give you a weather update. nice people respectable coffee for borderline central oregon coffee

Leavenworth: alpine coffee roasters: shade grown organic cheap (at least compared to pdx)

Stanley, ID: Stanley Baking Company. Breakfast burritos the size of your arm (leg if you are a sport climber) and good brew. Sawtooth guidebooks available for planning your next adventure and plenty of cute river rafting guides to wink at. ;)

Mazama: get your goat mug here