columbia gorge ice

beaconben

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiked the Gorge this afternoon...things are coming along - though maybe not fast enough for this brief snap. Overall, higher water volumes on the bigger climbs are pushing ice off as fast as its growing. Look instead for mixed, corner climbs and seeps.

I stood at the base of...

Crown Point: No(slushy, 30degrees)

Black Dagger: No(but proud!)

Ainsworth Left: No(higher volume right now)

Did not look at Starvation Creek or Salmon Run area...if anyone else has time to take a peek, I'd love to hear a progress report. PM me

I doubt anything solid is in. The only reason it looked cool out there was because of the frozen rain last night. Temps are above freezing now and will be all tonight and tomorrow. It may get barely below freezing Friday night but then not again for a while. Like said earlier, maybe good mixed climbing, but nothing to hold a screw for sure....

why did this guy corey get a ticket. was it for driving on 84 while closed or was it for climbing. i was bouldering in the oneonta parking lot a few summers back and a park person told me climbing is illegal in the gorge.

did anyone climb in the gorge this last freeze. i drove through sunday. it looked too thin for me.