MOST INFLUENTIAL ROCK GUITARIST

kevbone

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I do think this thread is sort of stupid. How can you pick out the most influential guitarist for all types of music. Yeah for music I like, I would agree, Robert Fripp, Brian Eno, Sonny Sharock and Buckethead.

Overall, I would have to agree with Hendrix vote. He took rock and pushed it. He approached the guitar as a completely new instrument and played it the "wrong" way. Ok granted other people were doing similar things, but he had a much larger aduience. He definitely changed rock and probably has more influence over any other guitarist. I think if you were to poll guitarist this question, Hendrix would be on top.

Yeah for music I like

The thread is not titled THE GREATEST ROCK GUITARIST THAT INFLUENCED ME, AND THAT I LIKE. It the greatest ROCK guitarist. It’s not about whether you like him/her or not. Just did they influence more other guitarist? Did the style of the times change after him/her hit the airwaves? How many others band/guitarists tried to imitate him/her? I believe these are some of the questions you/we need to ask to answer the original post.

And yes, this thread has run its course

Eddie, Eddie, Eddie, Eddie!!!!

Edited by kevbone

No dude, you just aren't listening to the music, the deep meaning, the amazing licks and frets and the definition...he's so HEAVY. Soon every axe man will be emulating his original style and only wishing they were as good.

Thats funny, just like you!

Jack Johnson has to DIE!

I think that this becomes a contest between Jimi and Eddie. Jimi obviously changed the way the guitar was played and produced sounds that still baffel some of the greats out there. More amazing still, he was doing this while tripping acid.

Eddie also really changed guitar forever through the invention of two hand tapping. Others were starting to pick up on the idea of hammering (such as Bass legend Jaco Pastorius) but he is the one that made it what it is today. No heavy metal band would sound cool without two hand tapping, and the extension of these techniques is what makes incredible songs like Joe Satriani's midnight possible today.

So I do think this thread is sort of stupid. How can you pick out the most influential guitarist for all types of music. Yeah for music I like, I would agree, Robert Fripp, Brian Eno, Sonny Sharock and Buckethead.

Overall, I would have to agree with Hendrix vote. He took rock and pushed it. He approached the guitar as a completely new instrument and played it the "wrong" way. Ok granted other people were doing similar things, but he had a much larger aduience. He definitely changed rock and probably has more influence over any other guitarist. I think if you were to poll guitarist this question, Hendrix would be on top.

you say yhis thread is stupid. i say you are a homo. lets be friends.