MOST INFLUENTIAL ROCK GUITARIST

kevbone

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cobain is under-appreciated

Because he sucks as a guitar player, compared to Van Halen, Malmstien, Vai, and Satriani.

oh my gawd you poor pathetic wretch. next you will turn to the perfectly placed notes of our local wunderkind, kenny g. what could be suckier than perfect note placement in the service of PAP? if i wanna hear some propaganda, i'll listen to friggin' the carpenters cuz the irony isn't so painful at least.

"sucks as a guitar player, compared to poodle, chihuaha, corgy and oh shit you suck.

Hendrix, no contest at all.

Hendrix did some amazing shit, but I don't think that his direct influence is reflected today.

Iommi bred ALL of the modern metal bands.

Lennon (and co.) all but invented modern pop

Vaughn is responsible for a lot of the blues influences in modern country (blech)

Most of Hendrix's influence is spoken by guitarists, but rarely performed, and certainly not in th emajority of recorded music.

This is where someone cites Trey Anastasio as a modern recording artist holding the Hendrix tradition. Give me an even ten artists that are still doing the hendrix thing and you win.

Fenderfour:

Influential is not the same thing as copied. Hendrix to a large extent redefined what was possible with the electric guitar, and in some ways broke down the walls of the guitar box. In that sense, he is extremely influential, and it shows up not just in the music of Trey the unlistenable hippy, but in blues folks like Buddy Guy and Poppa Chubby, wierd crossover folks like Vernon Reid and John McLaughlin, jazz players like Kevin Eubanks and Miles Davis (who covered at least one Hendrix tune), and just a ton of folks in the rock world, including the bulk of the guitarists listed above.

Just because every wannabe guitar player learns "House of the Rising Sun" doesn't mean that Eric Burdon is the godfather of modern rock.

Give me an even ten artists that are still doing the hendrix thing and you win.

Not necessary, survey the critical rock press and I think you'll find it more or less universally acknowledged. Hendrix was it. Hendrix was a genius because the possibility of the electric guitar took a quantum leap in his hands. He didn't just play fast ...he created the sounds. It's impossible ...maybe even frightening to imagine where he would have taken the music.

When we talk about influence in visual art, you can see the influence in what an artist is doing. I'm not talkign about copying. I'm talking about people continuing on in the same direction that the early artists forged.

Iommi is copied by some, but all modern metal was started when that badass got a guitar. You can hear the influence in what today's artists are doing. You can see it in the music when it's written down.

What do critics have to do with music. A person's influence isn't judged by someone who's job it is to have an opinion, influence is judged by where your chosen art form is in today and what the contemporary artists are doing with it.

as I said before, what Jimi started died. What the others started is alive and well.

I disagree with everyone who said anything other than Hendrix. offwhite is right on:

Influential is not the same thing as copied. Hendrix to a large extent redefined what was possible with the electric guitar, and in some ways broke down the walls of the guitar box. In that sense, he is extremely influential, and it shows up not just in the music of Trey the unlistenable hippy, but in blues folks like Buddy Guy and Poppa Chubby, wierd crossover folks like Vernon Reid and John McLaughlin, jazz players like Kevin Eubanks and Miles Davis (who covered at least one Hendrix tune), and just a ton of folks in the rock world, including the bulk of the guitarists listed above.

Just because every wannabe guitar player learns "House of the Rising Sun" doesn't mean that Eric Burdon is the godfather of modern rock.

Seriously, if you've never been to electic ladyland, you should go sometime

and Eddie van Halen isn't even in the same league as Hendrix, though Van Halen I and 1984 do rock, I'll give you that, kevbro

I disagree with everyone who said anything other than Hendrix. offwhite is right on:

Seriously, if you've never been to electic ladyland, you should go sometime

and Eddie van Halen isn't even in the same league as Hendrix, though Van Halen I and 1984 do rock, I'll give you that, kevbro

Axis: Bold as Love rockband.gif