soft shell pants

climbnsparky

im looking for a pair of soft shell pants. what are you guys using?

i have a pair of the rei taku pants that i use when its warmer, they seem to work ok. just dont have a ton of faith in rei gear. and a pair of full xcr bibs for when its ugly. but lately i have been getting to hot. now i am the sweaty kid. i think about moving and i sweat. so i started looking at the arcteryx gamma ar and mx pants. anyone have these? how do they work in warmer mountianering/alpine activities. how about hardwears conduit softshell? at this point im not set on anything specific so im open to sugestions. bigdrink.gif

Edited by climbnsparky

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gamma AR rocks. Tweave stretch woven fabric seems tougher than Schoeller, and is cooler than many alternatives, cuz there's no "loop" knit on the backside. That means u have to break out the LJ's sooner when it gets cold, but that's no issue - good all year round...

But expensive!

cheers, don

I have Cloudveil Summetry pants. I think they are havier than Arcteryx Gamma AR but cheaper.

Cloudveil still can't beat Arcteryx products in weight but quality is very very good.

http://www.cloudveil.com/mens/v-pants/CV03002/

MEC Tactics are great but I think they are warmer than you looking for. Price is perfect!

Arcteryx is the best option if you have money. They will last very long.

I bought a pair (my 2nd) of the Courmayeur pants this past spring so I think they're still making them. They come in a winter weight but I've used the summer weights along with a thin poly on some cold winter stuff and stayed pretty warm. Also used then on a few warmer occassions with no problem but I think the tan ones would be better for the warmer weather than the black that I have. I've gotten a few small rips but they didn't fray and were easily sewn. Nice pants - I think.

Any time I combine a Gore XCR shell with long johns, I cook. I even have to vent the full zip at some point during a hike. I have been using Patagonia's French Roast or Guide Pants on Baker, Rainer, and Prusik Peak. Now I leave the XCR pants at home and just bring my guide pants with a rain shell. I think it boils down to personal preference mostly. Go for the Gamma pants if you can afford it.

I have Cloudveil Summetry pants. I think they are havier than Arcteryx Gamma AR but cheaper.

Cloudveil still can't beat Arcteryx products in weight but quality is very very good.

http://www.cloudveil.com/mens/v-pants/CV03002/

MEC Tactics are great but I think they are warmer than you looking for. Price is perfect!

Arcteryx is the best option if you have money. They will last very long.

Those Cloudveil pants are quite nice, excellent fit as on all Cv items.

The Dead Bird pants take the cake hands down, though. That Tweave fabric is the best I have seen. I know lots of people who live by Schoeller incarnations, but under hard use they don't last near as long as the bird. If you were paying attention, the factory sale the other week had Gamma pants at $90 the_finger.gif

Which makes me reflect on winter soft shell pants. Powershield is such an excellent fabric, but it seems to be going out of vogue for some reason confused.gif MEC seems to be the only company making Powershield bibs, though the Cosmo bibs lack both pockets and zip sides.

My MEC Pamir bibs, now two seasons gone, are the gold standard. Going on 4 heavy seasons, both ski and ice, on my current pair. The fit was potato sack-like, but the features were perfect. BRING EM BACK MEC wave.gif

I have the Arcteryx Gamma MX- next to my La Sportiva Nepal Evos might be my favorite piece of clothing gear. Maybe 60 days alpine/ice use in total and they are still in great shape. Have worn them on Mt. Washington and at Lake Whiloughby in the single digits with wind- still warm enough with the midweight capilene. I think these are heavier than the AR pants but I think they are also warmer. The side pockets are perfect location/size. One peice of your clothing system that you never have to screw with once its on. They are easy to stich up/patch.

Since you asked about warmer, I have been on Rainier in June and July and in the afternoon you are hot in them, but I always find that its easy to strip down the upper body layers, take off the gaiters and be OK.

Yes they are expensive but you wont need a new pair for a LOOOONG time.