student tasered multiple times at UCLA

Gary_Yngve

caught on camera

Date: Nov 16, 2006 8:21 AM

Subject: Student shot with Taser by UCPD officers in UCLA library TWICE on 11/14

The thing that really seems bizarre to me is that it looks like the kid may be in cuffs BEFORE he was tasered, and sources claim he was already leaving. I can understand being kicked out of the library if you don't have your ID (though I can't believe they don't have a backup system to check identification, especially since these are students... students forget their IDs, idiots!!), but to be tasered after being cuffed, while already leaving?? From the audio in the video the kid is cooperating but doesn't want to be touched, so why was he tasered?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From the video (which is not all that clear) it appears that he was cuffed, but resisted when walking out. This is clearly not a case where a taser should be used. They could have had a couple people carry him out and be done. By tasing multiple times, they now have national attention and (likely) a law suit on their hands.

From the video (which is not all that clear) it appears that he was cuffed, but resisted when walking out. This is clearly not a case where a taser should be used. They could have had a couple people carry him out and be done. By tasing multiple times, they now have national attention and (likely) a law suit on their hands.

Yeah, you'd think their depts policy would NOT approve tazing someone who is cuffed and simply non-cooperative.

"Uhmm, you do have a policy on tazer use don't you guys?"

Looks like the cops (acting on impulse) violated dept policy at least 3 up to 5 times? (judging by the guys screams and crowds growing reactions - cops actions almost caused a riot).

I agree 'bout the law suit - thx Gary

I have seen several people both before and after being tasered. When it comes down to it, if you're a good person, you won't get tasered. If you are so unruly and out of control that someone feels threatened and has to call 911, it's time for you to leave. If you don't leave, cops will give you one chance to cooperate. After that, it's game on. Being a cop is a dangerous job. It is very dangerous trying to subdue a person. A taser is a relatively benign tool cops can use. Much better than a gun or even a wand. Another good tool is pepper spray. I'm not a cop and I wouldn't want their job. I feel sorry for the guy being tasered, but I think he had it coming. The real world is a tough place and mistakes have consequences. I think this college boy learned one of life's lessons the hard way.

a modified version of a post I deleted because I felt the whisky was talking rolleyes.gif

The guy seemed to be enjoying the attention he was getting. Every time he had a chance to cooperate and deescalate the situation, he did the opposite. He totally had it coming.

I felt he was making a point, and I think anyone who thinks from the gut would do the same thing, especially considering the situation, granted I do NOT know what precipitated the original encounter. But what ever.

Are you sure this wasn't some Will Ferrel bit? It sure sounded like him from his slow death scene in Austin Powers. This gets funnier every time I watch it.

greatest lines:

justice boy:"i HAVE A MEDICAL CONDITIoooooON."

"HERE's YOUR FUCKING ABUSE OF POWER. HERE'S YOUR PATRIOT ACT."

omg too damn funny. yelrotflmao.gif

cop: "Stop fighting us. Comply."

JB: "I'm not fighting you. I said. I. WOULD. LEAvvvvvE."

cop: stand up. stand up. <zap> stand up. <zzap> stand up...

repeat the exchange...

I think the cops biggest mistake was setting their tazer to "bitchy crybaby".

These college students feel like they need some injustice to rail against. Its Protest Envy; like they have to measure up to their counter parts from the 50s and 60s. And this is the hillarious result.

Kent State = natl Gaurdsmen kill angry protesters; country goes into uproar over the images of state abuse.

UCLA tazering = Kid gets zapped for being a bitch; indignant students get badge numbers and post crappy footage on UTUBE.

This kid was blatantly trying to stir up a riot.

The cops played right into this little bitch's hands by allowing him to carry on for so long. I think from now on you'll see these cops carrying duct tape.

pitty.gif

Clearly he has yet to learn the finer points of post-arrest etiquette.

I couldn't help but form a vivid mental picture of how I imagine that guy was raised. Sort of like a Cat Stevens song for the Volvo and Restoration Hardware set. Start with a toddler in mid-tantrum chucking toys at cowering parents who exchange pained, helpless looks at one another between each dodge and weave and then que the music....

"Joey smacked his Mom just the other daaaaay, she said "I'd hate to see him repress his emotions, so that's okaaaay...."

With any "News" you always have to be leary of its truth.

Make sure to get the whole story before becoming a lemming.

From another article on what happened (summarized): After 11 PM the UCLA library is closed to non-students, as part of campus security measures. The tasered guy in question would not identify himself, and would not leave, even after being asked repeatedly by the unarmed "security" personnel. So they finally called the police, and the guy still refused to present ID showing he was entitled to be in library after hours, and refused to leave. When they tried to remove him he resisted.

Now I agree its crummy to taser some one, but if all he needed to do was provide ID then he should have done so, especially if he and everyone knew they would be expected to do so. It's like refusing to show your ID when you get carded at a bar b/c you think its race related.

Tazzing should be banned. How would you like to be tazed for any reason.
Let's see, given a choice between a night stick to the head or groin and a Taser, I'd take the Taser. Given a choice between having someone kneel on me so I can't breathe, I'd take the Taser. Given the choice between a bullet to the heart or a Taser, I'd take the Taser every time.

Looks like everyone had a bad case of the stupids there that night.

As for using a taser on someone resisting arrest, what should they have used? Harsh language? The guy had a couple of chance to produce ID and failed to do so. He had a chance to walk out of the building and failed to do so. Maybe the guy was a serial rapist or an arsonist with an arrest warrant. That's ok, son, you go back to studying. We don't want to cause an incident.

More stupidity from the ACLU

"It is a real mistake to treat a Taser as some benign thing that painlessly brings people under control," said Peter Eliasberg, managing attorney at the ACLU of Southern California.

Who thinks that the TASER is a benign thing? Can we get a show of hands here?