My crevasse fall

Alasdair

Ok I thought that some you would like to see a couple photos of my little accident this summer. I never really felt like telling everybody in the world what happend, but the pictures are pretty cool and hopefully it is a little warning that being in the wrong place at the wrong time kind of sucks.

To keep it short, I took a 40 footer to the bottom of a crevasse. I was roped up and traveling in what would be considered a safe way, and a huge hole opened up where there was no real sign of a hole existing. The bridge was at least 10 feet thick 40 feet wide and several hundred feet long. I was on the front of the rope and was standing about 5 feet past the upper edge of the crevasse and was pulled backwards into the crevasse fell about 40 or 50 feet and hit the bottom of the crevasse. THe second on the rope also was pulled in and also hit the bottom of the crevasse. The second was unhurt, I managed only some minor bumps and broken teeth. Any way I mostly thought you guys would like the befor and after photos.

Before2.jpg

After1.JPG

Edited by Alasdair

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rainier

Was this on the upper Emmons/Winthrop in late August, by any chance? We heard second hand of a big bridge collapse when our party was up there ~Aug 21. It was pretty wild seeing the boot track go up to the edge of a huge crevasse into nothingness, then start up again on the other side, maybe 30 feet out and 20 feet higher. Getting around that hole was a big PITA, too

Glad you were OK

• 1 month later...