Fall from 1/2 Dome Cables

telemarker

It's obsolete. The common climber has evolved, and can easily develop the proper skills and equipment to climb and descend without the aid of cables. If you scrap the cables, the zoo is gone as the non-climbers go find somewhere else to be dangerous to themselves and others.

That stuff just doesn't belong there, history is a poor excuse for the eyesore and the insult to nature (not to mention the apparent invitation for people who have no business being on the side of that rock face).

hey asswerked...why don't you piss off? My folks went up those in their 60's and it was a thriller, now you are saying that they have to be fit enough to rockclimb? Big newsflash to you, climbers are waaaaaay in the minority...i mean wwwwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaay in the minority...

just the fact that there have been very few accidents relative to the numbers that have used them warrants them...

again, piss off, elitist prick... the_finger.gif

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's obsolete. The common climber has evolved, and can easily develop the proper skills and equipment to climb and descend without the aid of cables. If you scrap the cables, the zoo is gone as the non-climbers go find somewhere else to be dangerous to themselves and others.

That stuff just doesn't belong there, history is a poor excuse for the eyesore and the insult to nature (not to mention the apparent invitation for people who have no business being on the side of that rock face).

hey asswerked...why don't you piss off? My folks went up those in their 60's and it was a thriller, now you are saying that they have to be fit enough to rockclimb? Big newsflash to you, climbers are waaaaaay in the minority...i mean wwwwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaay in the minority...

just the fact that there have been very few accidents relative to the numbers that have used them warrants them...

again, piss off, elitist prick... the_finger.gif

You tell em RU

yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif

excellent

Rudy maybe they can put in a gondola for you when you are 100

ok I'm pissing off then

ps. I just realized this thread isn't supposed to contain anything, someone move all the posts to spray

i need one now...can't wait until the gondola gets installed on the chief soon... wave.gifwazzup.gif

Would you allow your kids to ascend/descend w/o a harness? While we were coming down, I saw plenty of middle school-aged kids descending seemingly oblivious of the consequences of a slip on the polished granite.

What I like about the cables is it's a landmark and an opportunity for someone who never climbs to feel a bit of the exposure and committment of yosemite. I definitely thought it was the crux of RNWF. I wasn't gripped so much as to the consequences of slipping, but rather afraid of the absolute embarassment of falling to my death in front of so many fuckin tourists.

Edited by telemarker

Ya know those of you talking shit to ashw are the ones who should be pissing off. The guy posts some reasonable remarks and gets hammered with all this psuedo sympathy/ grief 'I knew the person or a person who knew the person who knew the person'... what a crock. I don't see where an opinion about the cables has anything remotely to do with the B.S. responses, nor do I see where the tone can be construed as appropriate for what were reasonably stated opinions. Whatever honor or memory you might have wished to go with this person has just turned into spray. You lose boneheads... perhaps you should just join the many who will say things about 'dying doing what you love or some other such BS when the fact remains that if the cables weren't there this person would be alive and pointing that out is not a bad thing. Kind of like a mountain road with no guardrail. If somebody slid off in the rain driving home don't you think it would be relavent to mention the facts of the situation? Or is anything other than a bunch of me too grief whore responses inappropriate?

Before you spew on me keep in mind I don't have an opinion about the cables only about self rightous f'ks. People die it's tragic and sad and I feel bad for those involved, but using it as an excuse to browbeat someone or whatever is just sick and wrong.

Don't you guys have a mountie get together to attend or something?

Ya know those of you talking shit to ashw are the ones who should be pissing off. The guy posts some reasonable remarks and gets hammered with all this psuedo sympathy/ grief 'I knew the person or a person who knew the person who knew the person'... what a crock. I don't see where an opinion about the cables has anything remotely to do with the B.S. responses, nor do I see where the tone can be construed as appropriate for what were reasonably stated opinions. Whatever honor or memory you might have wished to go with this person has just turned into spray. You lose boneheads... perhaps you should just join the many who will say things about 'dying doing what you love or some other such BS when the fact remains that if the cables weren't there this person would be alive and pointing that out is not a bad thing. Kind of like a mountain road with no guardrail. If somebody slid off in the rain driving home don't you think it would be relavent to mention the facts of the situation? Or is anything other than a bunch of me too grief whore responses inappropriate?

Before you spew on me keep in mind I don't have an opinion about the cables only about self rightous f'ks. People die it's tragic and sad and I feel bad for those involved, but using it as an excuse to browbeat someone or whatever is just sick and wrong.

take the cables off and people will still try it... and probably more will die.

The Doctor agrees with this guy. And his protagonist askwfjkw_jutstands.

The Doctor would also like to say that there should be no roads in Yosemite Valley, or "The Ditch" or whatever Mr. Ubercooldwarf is calling it this week.

People are not telling him to piss off because he is commenting on the cables, its that (once again) someone is starting to spray/drift in a death thread. If you want to talk about whether cables should be in the wilderness, start your own post.

OK, let’s talk about the cables.

Do you respect first accents above all else. I do. I give it up for the FA, EVEN IF I DON’T AGREE WITH IT. They got there first. Well if you do respect the FA, the piss off with the attitude about taking the cables out. Maybe we should take the bolts out of snake dike too! Or better yet, all the bolts on El Cap. Including the anchors. The cable route on the back of Half Dome was put up sometime around the turn of the century. I would say that gives the right to keep it the way it is.

Respect who came before you!

take the cables off and people will still try it... and probably more will die.

That's what we do, isn't it? We try climbing up stuff that doesn't have cables. Some die. It's a bummer, but hey, we all gotta go somehow. bigdrink.gif

People are not telling him to piss off because he is commenting on the cables, its that (once again) someone is starting to spray/drift in a death thread. If you want to talk about whether cables should be in the wilderness, start your own post.

OK, let’s talk about the cables.

Do you respect first accents above all else. I do. I give it up for the FA, EVEN IF I DON’T AGREE WITH IT. They got there first. Well if you do respect the FA, the piss off with the attitude about taking the cables out. Maybe we should take the bolts out of snake dike too! Or better yet, all the bolts on El Cap. Including the anchors. The cable route on the back of Half Dome was put up sometime around the turn of the century. I would say that gives the right to keep it the way it is.

Respect who came before you!

You have poop for brains. I like you.

That's what we do, isn't it? We try climbing up stuff that doesn't have cables. Some die. It's a bummer, but hey, we all gotta go somehow. bigdrink.gif

The premise being posited is that because one person died, the cables encourage people to climb Half Dome who shouldn't be, and if we take the cables down it will somehow save lives. I think more people would die if you took the cables off, which would negate that premise. Moreover, one death out of thousands who go up and down those cables every year hardly warrants this (over!)reaction. Furthermore, as has been pointed out, the person who died was on half dome outside the normal hiking season when the cables were already "down" for the winter, and suggesting this was no "touron" who "didn't belong there".

For the hiker/climber who died: requiescat in pace.