If you're going CLIMBING: HWY 35 pics

Couloir

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonder if you can get to this spot now? Even just hiking/skinning in there would be cool to see the destruction. But..... I'd assume they would ticket the shit out of anyone getting too close. Anyone?

I think you could ski in. I'm pretty sure it's still there, but when I was a kid I was part of the Mazamas group that built the Yellow Jacket Trail (aptly named). It started about 500 feet up the Timberline road (on the right, there should be a sign) off Hwy 26 and went all the way to Whiteriver Canyon. It was made for XC skiers, but you could certainly skin it. That would drop you about 3/4 mile above the highway where it washed out. If you get nabbed you could always plead innocent and they give you a free ride back to your car. thumbs_up.gif

Wow! That is one strong guardrail on that bridge! I wonder if anything is left of the White River Glacier? The force shown in the photos looks like it could have come from a glacial blowout.

The news reports indicate it was glacial blow-out that caused the white river slide. Recent snowfall has camouflaged any damage up high.

I heard this morning that they are expecting HWY 35 to be open from Govt. Camp? in three or four weeks. Apparently the road is still intact and once they get the bridge inspected it will be good to go. From Meadows north, the road is undercut and damaged in a couple spots and will take longer.

dunno kevin - i'm going climbing tomorrow on hood and would like to know the state of 35...

Ivan, I don’t make the rules, just going by the standards put in place by our lovely moderators and service folks. So far on this thread you are the first person the use the work climb. This should be on spray, by the CC.com definition.

If the thread would have started as “Im going climbing want to know about the road conditions”, that would be different. Either way is doesn’t matter really, nobody listens to me.

dunno kevin - i'm going climbing tomorrow on hood and would like to know the state of 35...

Ivan, I don’t make the rules, just going by the standards put in place by our lovely moderators and service folks. So far on this thread you are the first person the use the work climb. This should be on spray, by the CC.com definition.

If the thread would have started as “Im going climbing want to know about the road conditions”, that would be different. Either way is doesn’t matter really, nobody listens to me.

In most situations, does your passive-aggressive, whiny attitude and judgmental tone lead people to listen to you?

Why do you suppose it doesn't work here? confused.gif