Hardest "moderate" route to onsight?

Jens

How about the "access chimney" on the far right side of the Great Northern Slab. I have yet to see someone get up that for the first time in anything resembling good style. I don't care if you climb in the .12's. That thing may be the most humbling thing at Index and that's saying something. Moderate is relative!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good call, Baltoro.

Another candidate for this discussion is the bolt ladder start to City Park. There is a serious trick to it so that if you know the "beta," it is at least a letter grade easier and maybe two: from atop the block where it starts to get hard, step down and right about four or five feet, then proceed upward again.

Can't believe this didn't come to mind earlier: Alley-Oop Chimney at Peshastin. Go climb it, you'll see what I mean.

Since we're on the subject of Peshastin, how about the first pitch of Lightning Crack? I got thrashed by the bulge move for over 20 minutes the first time I tried it. I skulked away humbly, losing the onsight.

Can't believe this didn't come to mind earlier: Alley-Oop Chimney at Peshastin. Go climb it, you'll see what I mean.

Since we're on the subject of Peshastin, how about the first pitch of Lightning Crack? I got thrashed by the bulge move for over 20 minutes the first time I tried it. I skulked away humbly, losing the onsight.

naww, you just were not lucky...

I have seen that onsighted more times...

but it has definitely seen more than a few shutdowns. and injuries....

The overhang on orchard rock has (i am sure) stumped a few "à vue" leaders. I have also seen a few blown onsights on Fakin It (austrian slab)....and ankle breaks...

Thin Wall Special. Pulling the mantel first try seemed hard. I failed on this move and had onsighted harder rated cracks that trip. Fuck I need to climb more and get back in shape. I'd probably fail on most those routes today.

It's never an onsight if your feet leave the ground and touch it again.

No that counts. But I;ve seen it claimed even if they climb up to a crux and squirm about at the start. Then down climb and stand there, breath a bit, chalk and climb up and send. Total bullshit in my mind for Onsighting. That said I don't really care what you call it. As long as it's fun I'm happy.

I do the stance thing all the time when I climb stuff that is harder for me.