Hardest "moderate" route to onsight?

Jens

I think that the type of rock is a big determinent. If it is a crack you know hwat to do, however if it is the sporty climb on dolimite or limstone you can spend a lot of time searching for hold(barring no tick marks or tons of chalk). that has been my expirence in the rockies where you climb in areas with less traffic.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't the crux getting to the undercling on iron horse?

I know a couple of folks who have onsighted new industry and model work so I would elimante those. At 10b I nominate klaus von bulgrow and the alogirthim of love, I would be very surpised shocked even if a 10b leader could onsight that opening sequence.

At little si my friend who onsighted rainy day, didn't onsight aborigine...

Remember we're not talking about routes that seem hard for the rating. We're talking about routes that are hard to onsight, routes that have tricky or quirky moves that, once figured out, make the route seem much easier.

That's damn near every route at the quarry in Tenino.

"No, hook your thumb under that roof!"

"Up and left, hidden hold, no, further!"

"NO, don't touch THAT!" hellno3d.gif

Remember we're not talking about routes that seem hard for the rating. We're talking about routes that are hard to onsight, routes that have tricky or quirky moves that, once figured out, make the route seem much easier.

I know - that's how I meant it. For me it's "tricky or quirky moves" on that one.

Seriously though, when is the last time you saw someone try to legitimately onsight Iron horse placing gear. I think it would be a reasonable onsight for someone climbing that level.

As for zoom, the hard move is right off the ground, so you can try the move, step off, and try again like most people do without weighting the rope, thus not blowing the onsight.

I thought thin fingers was quite hard the first time I got on it. I'm talking about the moves right off the halfway ledge, none of this stepping right nonsense.

Edited by choss_crawler

I defintely misread some of the traversing moves on Neat and Cool in Squamish, but it seemed quite a bit easier than I first thought once I watched my friend follow and realized where everything was.

I wouldn't call it a difficult onsight, but just not as straightforward as some of the other splitters in the area.

Oh yeah, and Popeye and the Raven definitely had me stumped until I tried some acrobatic stemming off a crazy chickenhead feature. That bit could be a show-killer if you didn't get creative.