Grivel Lil Monster?

slooper

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW: I've only swung them in the shops. they seem alright for what you mention. They are a short, relatively light weight tool with a decent weighting. they swing a lot like the XMonster: maybe a little heavy in the shaft, but with a good snap.

too bad John can't say anymore: "Check these out at the PDX ice festival yo! pitty.gifrockband.gifyellaf.gif "

I heard a nasty rumor that the PDX ice festival was such a success that Vertical World is seriously considering holding their own in addition to reconsidering allowing DTing... maybe you could demo them there? Then again it is just a rumor hahaha.gif

If they do I'll make sure to plan a rocky butte round up or something that weekend yellaf.gifmoon.gifwazzup.gif

good thing(?) i'm in Michigan, so i don't get sprayed in this pissing match.

on the other hand, we now have zero gear shops locally that carry any tools in stock. Sure, they'll order whatever i ask just so i can try them out, but that really undermines my impulse buys. maybe i'll buy one and see if another is worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

i find it to be very amusing that with all of the evolution in climbing over the decades, and considering the fact the the climbing lifestyle is definitely an "alternative" one, that some people still find it difficult, if not impossible, to embrace change/innovation or, at the very least, the attempt to innovate.

ah well, i guess it's human nature.

either way, i will post my thoughts on the Grivel Lil' Monster when i have something to contribute.

i find it to be very amusing that with all of the evolution in climbing over the decades, and considering the fact the the climbing lifestyle is definitely an "alternative" one, that some people still find it difficult, if not impossible, to embrace change/innovation or, at the very least, the attempt to innovate.

ah well, i guess it's human nature.

either way, i will post my thoughts on the Grivel Lil' Monster when i have something to contribute.

This seems entirely uncalled for. I mentioned pink because it looks like a flamingo (at least to me). No one else was disparaging the design of the tool. Maybe you were in the mood to preach about how close-minded we are. I dunno. I'm gonna go back to something more useful now.

BTW, this isn't a new innovation, this is basically a fancy Russian Ice Fifi. They've been using em for years. I climbed with em a couple of times, awesome for hooking, not so good when you have to swing. Some of the ruskis can climb super fast in the speed comps with em though. I imagine these swing a bit better though with a real pick. The Russian ones I used were basically cut out of sheet metal with tape wrapped handles and a sharpened point. I also hear that some super scary verglas has been climbed with this sort of thing.

You're right, they are pretty much based on the russian ice fifi that you see getting used at the speed comps. They don't have much weight to them, like the monstgers, so I really don't see how they'd be that great for real swingen, probably good for kids though. The icefests at climbing gyms seem to be a good way of getting people together for shmack talk and boozin, but do people get anything out of the gear demos when they arn't swinging ice tools into real ice? I'm not trying to be critical, I was just wondering.