need helmet advice

jmo

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a tech genius or anything but you might want to consider that an alpine climbing helmet is designed to protect the top of your head from ice and rockfall, even more so than impact with the ground. Snowboard helmet is designed to protect against ground impact. Also, try putting on a snowboard helmet and an alpine pack with 2-3 days of gear and tilt your eyes up like you were belaying your friend or leading. Does the back of the snowboard helmet hit the top of the pack, pushing it down over your eyes? Snowboard type helmet also might not work w/ most headlamps. Lastly, if it covers your ears can you hear your partner when he says "on belay" around a corner 60 meters away in the wind?

I'm not saying, I'm just saying...depends on what type of climbing you have in mind I guess.

I'm trying to save money and buy a climbing helment that can also double as a snowboard helmet.

This just isn't a good way to save money. For two reasons:

1) You only have one head.

2) You still only have one head.

I thought this was such a good point it was worth mentioning twice. There's a ton of other ways to save money that don't make brain damage more likely. I'm sure you can figure them out.

Cheers,

Ade

I agree with Ade. If you ever have the unfortunate occasion to really test your helmet you'll have wanted to have the best you can get. I chalk my life up to a good ski helmet that stayed with me through multiple killer blows to the head during a bad fall. Also, a ski helmet would be too hot during the summer and a montaineering helmet would be too cold in winter.

I believe you can find a helmet that will offer reasonable protection for both activities. check out BD HalfDome & Petzl Meteor. there are basically comfortable hard-hats and glorified bicycle helmets for sale.

I have a Petzl hardhat and am always jealous of my buddy's petzl meteor, it seems more versatile considering protection during a fall (skiing or climbing), but the hardhat would be better for rockfall.

safety equipment is a personal decision, do what you're comfortable with, just don't let your budget keep you from doing anything.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm trying to save money and buy a climbing helment that can also double as a snowbaord helmet. Can anyone tell me if this will work, and which ones are best? thanks.

Camp Pulse Climbing/Skiing Helmet

The only helmet cross-certified for climbing and skiing. Perfect for backcountry skiers who dawn the axes on the approach and ski the descent. Direct ventilation keeps the climber cool on warm days and a winter kit with ear protectors and ventilation plugs quickly converts the Prime to a comfortable and warm ski and ice ready helmet (conforms to the EN 1077 standard for downhill skiing with the winter kit).

• 3 weeks later...

I feel like all of these naysayers haven't actually taken a look at the Grivel Gecko. Don't check out the BD Half Dome or Petzl Meteor for a dual purpose helmet. That's not what they're designed for. The Grivel Gecko is.

This reminds me, by the way - why is it that no climbing helmets have those nifty removeable ear protectors the way that skiing helmets do? It would be so fantastic because I could keep my ears warm but still be able to hear my partner yelling at me...

Gidg - no?

right.jpg

Most work wear shops have a real nice helmet liner that the construction folk use to line that buckets when it is cold. I have two differant ones that I use. Not a bad way to go they are cheaper than custom climbing gear and are designed to stay in the helmet. Pretty much the two that I have are wind stopper or not and full head sans face.

I have a bunch of helmet liners I wear; my favorite one is a little powerstretch one that happens to be from BD. But it still doesn't solve the problem of my ears - I can't hear as well with it as without. I really like the way that helmet pads in skiing helmets have a rim that encircles your ear, but is relatively thin over the actual ear.

The inside of my BD half dome came loose and has been sliding around for about the past year. I've been reasonably happy with it but those things do seem to fall apart pretty frequently, judging from the reviews you read of them.

I finally bought a new helmet a couple of days ago.

Of course, I've gone right ahead and possibly compromised it before even using it by painting it with acrylic paints, but hey, sometimes style is more important!