Mt. Hood- Cooper Spur Hut

Fuggedaboudit

Hope that the worst of the flooding is over for you guys.

We are going to be a party of 3 trying for the NF of Hood 2nd week of December. First time on Hood. Just learned that there is a hut/shelter at 7000' on Cooper Spur. Is it a reasonable place to bivy for the night if attempting the NF? How far/long is it from Cloud Cap parking lot? Is it open in December? How long/far from this "hut" to the base of the NF couloirs?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i wouldnt count on the road being open that late in the year. will all the snow that the mountian has had in the last few days i wouldnt be suprised if they close the upper gate.

it is 9 miles from the point where the pavement ends/dirt road starts to the parking lot where you start hiking. the upper gate is prolly at the half way point.

we were up there last sunday in the rain/blizzard and with the start of late dear and elk season the road is in rough shape. i went up there in a forrester and there were a few parts that made my ass pucker.

but yes there is a hut up at around 6800 feet it was though, filled with snow because the last people there didnt close the door thingy

When the cloud cap road is closed you can access the north face via the tilly jane trail. Its about 3 miles to the hut and then another mile or so to timberline from there. The hut can be used as a bivvy shelter but its not very pleasant and might be pretty crowded with 3 people. A tent would be way more comfy. The hut is also not a terribly convenient spot for access to the NF routes as you would have to drop down onto the Eliot glacier and access can be problematic. Most people use the hut for Cooper Spur access. Good luck.

Tilly Jane A frame- sounds like a nice option. I know the NF is done in a day, but I figure thats with fair to decent conditions on the approach, and that the approach starts at the Cloud Cap parking lot. If we were starting from Tilly jane (or farther away if roads damaged/washed out) then it wouldnt be realistic to do it in a day. The "hut" option would allow us to get there the day before and get an early start the next day. It also allows us to carry minimal sleeping gear. BTW who do I contact to register for the A Frame and get some more info?

Tried to call the resort but got a machine. Not sure but the backroads RBW might be refuring to is to access cooper via I-84 to 35. Two ways I know to access Cooper spur are 35 most of the way and you take a turn off that takes 5 min to get to the Lodge resort. The other is a longer much curvier way (i.e. less time on 35). I wish I knew the road names to share.

Edited by letsroll

From Dave's Blog. "We’re also setting up temporary offices at Cooper Spur Mountain Resort for the purposes of accounting, shipping, receiving, and human resources because we don’t have phones or internet at the Meadows at the moment. All mountain phones and faxes have been re-routed to the Portland Sales and Marketing office. "

Guess getting to cooper spur is will not be a problem.

The back way to Cooper Spur:

From Hood River, take Highway 35 south 13 miles to the down of Mount Hood. The speed limit drops to 45 here and there are several buildings including a general store/cafe on the right at a major intersection. Turn right here (there's a sign that says 'Cooper Spur 10 miles') and follow the road 10 miles to Cooper Spur resort. In my experience, when coming from Hood River this way is about as long as the other way.

Regarding the Tilly Jane Cabin vs the hut, go with the cabin dude. It's pure luxury compared to the hut and not a significant distance away. Besides, That time of year, the road is almost certain be closed at the lower gate (at the Cooper Spur ski area) so you'll be approaching via the Tilly Jane trail which takes you right past the cabin. You could continue on to the hut but it's probably less than 500 feet elevation gain and you might find it buried or filled with snow. In the summer it only takes about 30 minutes to walk from the cabin to the hut. If you're really prepared to climb NF routes then the small amount of extra distance won't make any difference.

Also, the TJ Cabin is about 3/4 of a mile east of the Cloud Cap parking lot and at the same elevation. Doing NF round trip in a day from TJ is comparable to doing it from Cloud Cap.

In any case, enjoy, good luck, and post pics!

thumbs_up.gif

Thanks for the info guys. My problem is that we havent been able to get a decent map of where all these huts/cabins/trailheads are. I tried to buy an out of print guidebook but nobody had it in stock. It must have sounded a bit dumb asking about a cabin 500 yards from the parking lot. We'll shoot for it in a day, if conditions are slow then a short bivy somewhere along the way and over to the South side and down the next.

I will definetely post pics and a TR with approach conditions. Also will be trying out a half sleeping bag/DAS parka bivy system, will let you all know exactly how much that sucks if I have to use it-yes I know, "if you bring bivy gear you will bivy".

Drive to copper spur ski area. Pass it until you get to the gate that goes up to cloud cap. Park. Walk/ski toward the gate and on the left you will see the trail. 2.5 miles or so and your at Tilly jane. Continue past, to the left (between tilly and the next building) and up through the trees. About half hour later you will hit the tree line. The hut is another half hour. Easy cheesy.

• 4 weeks later...
Also will be trying out a half sleeping bag/DAS parka bivy system, will let you all know exactly how much that sucks if I have to use it-yes I know, "if you bring bivy gear you will bivy".

Let's hope that is getting put to good use and is helping them out.

I will definetely post pics and a TR with approach conditions.

We look very forward to it. :tup: