Buying a concealed weapon, what's your flavor?

lancegranite

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I carry concealed for work and would have to suggest that smaller and lighter is better. I generally carry a Sig 228 but the size and weight sometimes discourages me from carrying, and what good is a gun if it is on the nightstand and I am out? I have a small SW .38 but would probably get an auto if I was to do it again. The Bersa Thunder, various Khar models, and Kel-Tec are all worth looking into (though I think the Kel-Tec is more of an emergency situations only pistol, not something you would want to cycle a bunch of round through). Good luck.

Oh yeah, if I were you I would totally scratch the idea of an ankle holster. Even if you can get past the insecure feeling, the gun will never be readily available. Again, what good is a gun if cant be in your hand in an instant? I recommend a Kydex IWB holster. There are plenty of models out there and a recent Handgunner mag covered numerous brands. Lots of folks shy away from IWB because they think it would require bigger pants, but I have never had a problem, even in a tailored suit.

Edited by gmknight

I carry a small little .22 mag 12 shot clip, fits in the pocket. I grew up with guns and own many the reason I carry this is a 9mm or 44 will at close range say 5 to 10 feet will just travel through your target, a 22 slug at close range will start bouncing off bones and do more damage.

Great thread, minor digression on my part.

I am in the market for a first gun and obviously classes are key as well as buttloads of practice. There seems to be some pro and some anti glock peopleout there. A buddy of mine says they are super durable under adverse conditions, etc. For those that have a beef, what typicaly is it? I was looking at the glock 22 (40cal). Not a conceal type weapon but since we're on the general topic. wave.gif

Chirp:

Some folks don't like the idea of a polymer frame (as opposed to all metal). But, that's why they are light, and polymers don't rust, are durable, etc. It's not a new concept. Remington was making a long gun with a polymer receiver back in the late 50s and H&K made at least one model of pistol with a polymer frame in the 70s.

Others don't like the idea of not having a "normal" i.e. external safety lever/switch. Glocks have three safeties, one on the trigger, one at the firing pin, and one that prevents a discharge if the weapon is dropped. You never have to do anything to "deactivate" the safety, basically just pull the trigger normally, but the three safeties counter the common situations where you'd get an unintended discharge. The trigger safety is hard to explain without a pic, but imagine a normal trigger with a thin separate piece abutting next to it that requires you to pull both of them. It feels like a normal trigger pull...take a look at one and it's easy to see what's going on.

Alot of LE uses Glock. About 50-60% in the US, almost all of Australia and NZ, FBI, etc.

EDIT:

Here's a dia of the trigger safety

Triggersafety.jpg

Edited by willstrickland

Great advice so far, I agree that your body size partially dictates the type of gun that works best for you. I use a snub nose hammer-less S&W .357 with an in-the-pants holster.

My best recomendation is to get a hammerless snub nose .357. Totally reliable, easily concelable, solid stopping power, and you can practice with cheaper .38 special ammo.

Get a Ruger .44 magnum Super Blackhawk. The weight dampens the recoil nicely, and if anybody fucks with you, you can say, "Go ahead... Make my day."

Dirty Harry used a S&W M 29 yoda.gif

"Uh uh uh! I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?"

Love that scene. thumbs_up.gif

I actually had a Ruger .44 magnum Super Blackhawk for a time. Fine weapon, that was. Sold it to buy climbing gear. smirk.gif

Beretta Cheetah .380 auto with good safety capabilities so you don't shoot your wang off. Doesn't Jam with good amo. Does stovepipe sometimes with cheap ammo (downfall of smaller calliper guns). You can get the compact 8round mag type (skinnier grip better for sticking in your pants) Or the 14 round mag type. Better for the glove compartment.

You might want to rearange your lifestyle to avoid such a nasty solution. Just a thought! God knows if I carried, there would be a corpse slung over a steering wheel at the Roanoke I5 south on-ramp today. Instead I just gave her the middle finder, not quite the same effect, but I feel better about it now.