Buying a concealed weapon, what's your flavor?

lancegranite

The latest in a long stream of fucked up events has brought me to start shopping for a concealed weapon.

I cannot believe that I need a gun, but at this point I would rather have one that not have one when the next guy points one at me.

Yes, I know that they are a major pain in the ass.

So with that said, whats your favorite make/model?

PM's are fine if you would rather not voice your opinions publicly.

Canadians and naysayers need not apply, thanks.

(yes, I realize that this is a climbing website)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

go take a class and learn how to use it first. then decide what you want in a weapon. dont just buy a glock cause someone tells you too, stick it in your pants and head out to the mall. thats how bad shit happens. handle and fire as many as you can. there is alot of options out there, it all depends how big you are, where and how you want to conceal it, and ultimatley how much gun you can handle.

wink.gif

Let me reiterate: I don't need your thoughts about the politics of gun ownership, I have been shooting for my entire life.

I am thinking ankle carry, but will entertain waist holstered weapons.

Taking a CC class and getting range time are all part of the package.

I am looking for opinions about makes/models.

I have even tried to ankle carry a weapon, but I would assume it requires a small gun. I own a springfield xD and have been very impressed with it. Lots of people do, but I don't like glocks. I do not own, but have seriously considered a kel-tec .380 or Cz 83, with might also fit your needs. Beretta makes a .380 which is quite small and might also work well. The xd's run around 4-500 and the .380's are all under $350.

While I will not discourage you from taking a class, If you live in washington they are not required. The only thing that is required here is 60$ and a background check. Takes about two weeks to get it back. Check out www.packing.org

Check out the Bersa Thunder .380. Its basically a PPK clone with some of the PPK's bugs removes and at about half the price. Butch's gun shot in green lake stocks it for about $250 http://www.butchsgunshop.com. 380 is easy to handle, easy to conceal and has enough stopping power for most situations, anything short of a gorilla on pcp. Even if shot and not killed most have the sense to not get shot again.

As for ammo all handgun ammo cost roughly the same amount but if you area doing alot of shooting you will save if you buy by the case online. 380 is easy to handle, easy to conceal and has enough stopping power for most situations, anything short of a gorilla on pcp. Even if shot and not killed most have the sense to not get shot again.

Although I am not a fan of .38 Specials, I had one expressly for the purpose of carrying it concealed. B/C I tend to carry in my pocket, I figured if the emergency ever came up, I might be forced to actually shoot it from inside my pocket. Therefore, I chose a S&W snub-nosed .38 with an enclosed hammer so that the hammer would not get caught on the cloth of my clothing. The aim on these suck, but that doesn't matter if you are carrying with the intent of self protection at close range. (I am a fan of the Springfield 1911A for accuracy and pure pleasure of shooting; but they are not suitable for close range work in my opinion.)

I don't know if you have worked with an ankle holster before, but I find that they are very cumbersome. Your pants go over them, so you have to lift up your pant leg to get to it. Not only is this a pain in the ass, but your movements are obvious to interpret. Furthermore, you put your body in a vulnerable position while doing this. And if you wear boots, you are unable to wear your holster.

That's my $0.02 in general. If you are interested on more input on specific handguns, feel free to PM me and I can blather away til you are bored to tears.

Good luck to you.

Thanks for the opinions, I have not payed too much attention to the gun world in the last couple years.

The skyrocketing violent crime rates in Vegas and recient incidents have given me a new interest in self defense.

Me and Mrs G. are looking into hand to hand SD classes offered locally as well as concealed carry options.

I am not a huge guy, so a compact would be preferable.

The wheel gun/ semiauto question has me up in the air

The ankle holster thing IS cumbersome, I just did not want to buy a half dozen new pairs of pants.

Vegas has several quality gun shops/ ranges, so I will be able to try out several models.

Keep your opinions coming, once again, thanks!

Beretta PX4 Storm

01.jpg

Ummm (lusting thoughts)

I had a buddy who ran a store in a low life area of town, and I was discussing this very topic with him once. He thought that the most important consideration is being able to access it quickly. When I thought about it I had to agree, and when I suggesed to him that he couldn't get to it quickly right then if a low life came in, he disagreed with me, when I reiterated my point he pulled up his shirt and showed me a pistol that he had been carrying the whole time we had been discussing this issue. He could have drawn it in a nano second (and he did practice this very thing). Furthermore, if someone had gotten the drop on him (a very high likely hood) them not being aware that he was a threat would also be critical to his survival.

So, having faast access to it, but not letting others know. Like you, I've handled firearms my entire life, but I was shocked to say that when his shirt dropped boack over it, I had to strain to believe I could see a slight bulge, but I wasn't sure even then. It was some kind of small pistol, I'm thinking it might have been a 38, in a small holster - but it was damn small.

I would get to a couple of the biggest gun stores in town and ask them to address your special needs. You prpbably don't need a Glock that has 18 or 20 rounds, you might need 3-5 shots in your worst case scenario? Big would be counterproductive in your case, unlike a police officer, where they want that intimadation factor to help them not have to pull it, and then when they do, to have the kind of firepower to walk away from a worst case scenario. Course many officers carry shotguns as well for that very thing. If hiding it isn't an issue, then you have less likly hod of taking down an innocent when that .45 cal round passes through some lowlifes chest, then through a wall and car window. :

ViewImage.aspx?ID=4a780e92-f929-4366-b47b-c07c1c2b72b5.jpg

This is a nice and relatively small version, Mossberg. Pretty cheap too, I got mine for $160 bucks used. Course, there is always the fact that an unarmed couple of lowlifes can swarm you and thus become armed lowlifes. edited to add: Hmmmmmmm images didn't come through.

Good luck turning around your recent events.

I'm sure our friends on Ascensionist.com could do an excellent job of advising you.

This is actually good advice. Sounds like you're getting some good info here (I have none to offer), but I'm sure you'll get some additional useful information from some of the folks over there who favor the concealed carry option.