Skiing Snowdome this weekend

sherpajeff

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It has been cooking here for awhile now. My guess is that it's not a big concern. YMMV. Could be some good-sized cracks opening on the upper part now. [Cool]

I was considering climbing Sunshine this weekend but it's looking awfully hot. (free air freezing 14K' [hell no] )

I agree w/iain ... I haven't been up there this year [Frown] , but I've skied the dome in a lot of different conditions (June-Oct) and never encountered anything that made me even a little bit worried about slides. There are a lot more slots up there than there used to be, though...

I suspect that the conditions will be good. They were excellent 3 weeks back. Just get an early start or the lower part could be pretty slushy. I've skied it several times in temperatures this warm in late July and early August and the conditions were great. It's a nice break from the heat in the valley too.

Scout the slots carefully on the way up - there have been more appearing every year over the last 4 years or so. I went into one up to my hip last year on my way up. It was to climbers left, which is unusual. In the past they've been more concentrated to the center and climbers right. In retrospect, the signs were there, but I wasn't looking for them on that side because of my experience in the past.

Have fun