• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
s_darris

Black Spider on Hood.......done it?

It's gonna be hard to get on it w/the road washed out.

Wayne Wallace is the guy to ask. I've tried to get on it twice and have been weathered off or it's been bone dry

actually - sound slike you can get up to cloud cap still by going hte back way

PM wayne1112 and hopefully he can hook you up.

I'd just head up there and plan on doing whatever looks clever.

You can get the topo by joining the Oregon Mountaineering Association. I know there are some topos floating around though (no I don't have one). I don't know too much about it other than, I've heard you need spring conditions to bring it in, and that it has about a 48-hour season. Good luck!

There are several good climbs including a relativley easy route. The gully on the right leads to it or the overhanging ice rt"Black Widow". The center face offers a couple of mixed and ice routes up to 7 pitches long. Anything but the easy route is very serious.I will scan the topo if you bug me enough about it.It can easily be approached from timbeline ski area. Mr. Darris , We have met before , do you remmember when or where?

So has the arachnaphobia or the great central drip (or black widow for that matter) routes actually been finished to the top of the spider? The topo pic I have suggests that only the black widow has been finished to the top.

Wayne ?

Hi Wayne...Don't think we've met , although it would be an honor. I have had a fascination with the black spider route ever since doing the wy'east long ago. I am hoping to get up there this season , providing it comes in to shape. I have taught skiing on Hood for 25 years now and am currently with Timberline Ski school , maybe we crossed paths somewhere in there? Wayne , thanks again for responding ! I'd love to hear more about that side of the mountain, maybe over a cold one sometime?

Shawn Darris

I moved the thread from Climbers Board to Oregon Cascades with the intent of keeping the information in the most relevant and likely to be searched forum.

Yes Arachnophobia was finished , its the drip thats been teaseing me.Shawn did you used to hang out with Opy? Your name is very familiar.I used to live on Hood myself. Do you know Englund?I am looking to get up to Illumination over thanksgiving. Wayne