Emergency Room? or Wait?

montanapup

We think Mtnfreak has a hernia that just materialized this morning. So the question is....does he wait until Monday to see the Doc? or go into Emergency?

I'm treating it like a science experiment and waiting to see the following:

if it's strangulated, in 6 hours (countdown from around 1ish), we will see fever and severe pain and sickness!

if he waits, he may need a bowel movement and he may have an obstruction due to the pushed out bowel being constricted by his abs

if he makes it til Monday, who know all the wonderful things that may happen as he percolates and stews....he could blow up!

Anyone? Anyone? Suggestions?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh no. are you sure, i thought i had a hernia once but it turned out to be a pulled groin. i have a couple of friends who have had hernia's for months without complications, they just didn't have insurance to pay for surgery. what kind of hernia? i would wait to see the doc cuz you'll save yourself at least $500.

Great. I live in a two room apartment, sitting less than 50' away from montanapup, and she goes and puts my question here...

Yeah, I seem to have a ventral hernia, located immediately above my navel. Something was pushing out (start thinking about hte scene in Alien) but during a little exploratory palpatation I reduced it. So now I'm wondering - is it an emergency, or can I wait to be checked out by the University Clinic on Monday?

The risk of a hernia is that the intestine gets squeezed and cuts off blood flow, in which case there is a good chance of death. If that doesn't happen, you should be fine. Make your own choices.
As long as you give the hernia a poke every four hours or so you could stave off strangulation until Monday. That's only about a dozen pokes. tongue.gif

Though I'm not one to make broad medical generalizations in a subject I am no expert in, my two cents:

My great-grandpa had something probably similar or identical to what you describe. He kept pushing it back in for the rest of his life. He didn't believe in doctors. That had nothing to do with his death, so I think you'll be OK for the weekend, personally. If constriction is supposedly a problem like the above post mentions, then stay loose man! No pull-ups and ab crunches until after surgery grin.gif

Sounds like your kinda get your rocks off on this. What ever float your boat I guess. wazzup.gif

She does, but so does every other medical geek I know.

I called a 1-800 triage nurse that WWU provides. Its doesn't qualify a trip to the ER yet. But no heavy lifting this weekend, so no trip to the Eastside to try to find dry rock or any good trail runs in the rain. MF (oops, there's that Tourettes kicking in).

EDIT: And the nurse said I should limit my diet to liquids until I get checked out on Monday. Guess this means lots of trips to Archers! bigdrink.gif

Edited by mtnfreak

Most pathetic thread ever? You be the judge!

Rates right up (down) there with a poo thread...

Mods, could you move this to spray, or splatter, or whatever the fuck this hernia thing will do. MP & MF, set up a web cam so we can follow the drama!

Edited by Doug