Drycomp Summit Sack - Outdoor Research

ClimbingPanther

http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/produc...7n.ihhf.50.648i

Has anyone tried this before? Sure looks nice and light and the price is right. Maybe I won't have to use my dad's ancient nylon minimalist packs from the 1970's era anymore! Those were great, coming in at single-digit ounce weights, but aren't very comfortable for more than 10-15 pounds.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have two similar packs, an older Lowe Alpine Summit Attack and an MEC Serratus Genie. I saw a sil-frabric Dana being tested once too. All of these packs featured lids (unlike the OR pack).

I love 'em. I've used the Lowe pack on 1.5 "day" trips, and the Genie on 1-2 day trips. I can fit 1/4 of a full length foam pad into the frame sheet pocket.

This pack is a great option. But it is much bigger in real life than it appears on the web. If you were to use it for a compression bag, you can only really compress it to about the size of a basketball. OR needs to make it smaller. Another thing, if you close the bag, you can't compress it, it traps all of the air because of the taped seams. They need to have an internal drawstring that you can cinch, compress the bag, then rolltop it. Then they'd have something sweet.

Dana Designs (Marmot) has a bag called the kompressor that comes in a little lighter and smaller. It isn't waterproof though.

Hope that helps.

I got the smallest REI UL pack which is a bit smaller but the same concept, also not waterproof, but something like $18 on sale. It works great as a summit pack, climbed Triple Couloirs with it this year. I wouldn't pay that much for the OR though, it's too big and heavy for a summit pack/stuff sack, and too small and uncomfortable (at least in the store) for much longer than a day.

I picked up one of these bags last season as a compression sack for my syn sleeping bag. It compressed to the size of a basketball and I placed it in my larger pack. It was great to have a lighter pack on summit day instead of my lb pack. I have since upgraded pack and sleeping back so I use the summit sack on day hikes.

I've got one and it works pretty good. However I have two issues with it. First the padding on the shoulder straps tend to twist and let the webbing dig into your shoulders. You wont have too much weight in there but it's annoying. A little homemade sternum strap fixs this problem. Second is the dry bag closure top doesnt work too good when a hydration hose is sticking through it. Arcteryx solved this with a fitted plug.

The pack does work very nicely though, super light and just the ticket when used as a compression sack and summit pack.You can also blow it up and use it for a pillow.

I sold my Genie for one of these.

If you take the time and sign up for OR's labrat program and review the product they'll send you a cool t-shirt as well. laugh.gif