Wallowa alpine/rock climbing

kevin

I keep hearing about good climbing in the wallowas, but I can't seem to find any other info except that it exists. I've never been there, but I'd like to check out someplace new. TG - sounds like you climb there a lot. Is there any kind of guide available or is it all adventure climbing. Are there any particularly good areas to look for routes?

thanks for whatever info anyone might have

kevin

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kevin, What kind of stuff are you looking for? Rock, Alpine, peak bagging, back packing or my personal favorite - long enchainments? The last water ice fell off the cliff 3 weeks ago but the skiing is still good if you are willing to hike for it. There is lot out here & I'd be happy to share info with you. Also, there are a couple of hikers guides. There are no rock or true climbers guides.

If you give me a heads up I could meet you at the pub and point out spots & routes on your topo.

[ 07-01-2002, 03:53 PM: Message edited by: Terminal Gravity ]

There's a good little crag called Spring Mountain in the Blue Mountains, near the Wallowas. Its a mixture of trad cracks and bolted faces on good andesite, free camping, no parking pass, low key kind of place. Here's the online guidebook: Spring Mountaing Guidebook

I gather there is a longish slabby adventure route on some granite (I think) near the ski area at North Powder too. Thats about the sum of my knowledge on the topic...

quote:

Originally posted by Terminal Gravity:

Kevin, There is lot out here & I'd be happy to share info with you. Also, there are a couple of hikers guides.

If you give me a heads up I could meet you at the pub and point out spots & routes on your topo.

Or, you could call me at the brewery 541.426.0158. But I am not going to take the time to write a guide book on this forum