xTreme Hiking

gapertimmy

spent yesterday with three hip cats on a botched hike up b'top NW ridge. we we're all a bit tired, and the snow made the travelin slow, but a grand time was had by all.

wanted to say thanks to ruddersbox, his main man fixinz, and jkreuger (happy b'day) for the most plab of times yesterday.

safe travels to ya rudders

TIMM@Y

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How far below the tree line does the snow lay??? Did you run into many masquetos yet???

The reason I ask is that I have a budy that is up from yucca valley and wanted to take him up three finger jack or mt. Washington, but last year when I waited for the trail to clear the blood sucking bugs where so bad that we had to cover every inch of skin with thick clouthing... repelant had no effect what so ever...

snow was pretty much to the parking lot... i think (depending on where you start) would be the same story for 3fj. thats why we got owned, and our travel was pretty slow due to the sloppy snow.

no skeeters yet, but i'm sure they're getting ready to pounce.

I did call the forest service and they said the road to Jack Lake was clear of snow and open... so you may have better luck going from the E side of 3fj.

Hey Jake,

The snow was to the parking lot of Mt. Washington yesterday. It was firm enough to walk on though. The summit block and most of the N. ridge were dry. I assume 3FJ is about the same.

I was back at the car at 11:15 AM and immediatly started pounding Gin & tonics. A doctor told me one time that Quinine (in tonic water) helps you keep from getting malaria...and the little flying blood suckers were out in force.

[ 06-17-2002, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: Terminal Gravity ]

I acctually camped & parked at the wide section of the dirt road where the PCT crosses NW of Big Lake. I had never been there before. The road to the South shore of big lake still had a bit to much snow on it to drive. The closest access is probably through the Mormon camp on the East side of the lake. It will probably be melted off soon though. In any case the hike is so short that it doesn't really matter.

All that being said the snow was still deep in the trees but firm, even in the afternoon. It was still more or less skiable but walking would be easier...IMO.

The ski down the NW bowl was fun and fast in thick fog, so I recommend bringing skis for the decent.

The summit was sunny at 8:00am with clouds filling the passes between Wash. & Jeff. It was quite a sight seeing the wind push the mists into a big vortex against the west wall and push it spinning over the North Ridge.

I usually use that dirt road now since it is generally not checked for trail park passes (and you can just park right in front of the sign and walk to the TH) [Razz] It is longer than the Big Lake one though (but obviously not if the road's still closed). I get more interested in Washington in the early fall (when it is a classic OR climb!)

I noticed someone recently put a summit register tube up there a year or two ago. I'll be sure to spray liberally next time I'm up there.

quote:

Originally posted by iain:

I noticed someone recently put a summit register tube up there a year or two ago. I'll be sure to spray liberally next time I'm up there.

Yup, Register tube in place...along with alot of other litter. Speaking of litter, I did my share and cleaned up on the summit. Half a dozen slings & cordalettes, 2 rap rings, a brand new BD oval and, get this, a perfect #2 camalot shoved deep into a crack.

Just doing my part for the environment. Don't worry there is still more litter up there for the climber that feels like they need gear; I did not take it all.

If you find skeeters to be a massive pain, go to your local pet store and buy a bottle of cat nip oil (no joke) this stuff work better than anything on the market and of course is way safer to use than DEET! It's kinda spendy, a little spray bottle cost about $7.00, but well worth it.

As an added bonus you smell kinda herby and if your into wild life and in the deep woods, your likely to attract a mountain lion or two for some up close action photos. Heeere kitty, kitty!

quote:

Originally posted by sketchfest:

As an added bonus you smell kinda herby and if your into wild life and in the deep woods, your likely to attract a mountain lion or two for some up close action photos. Heeere kitty, kitty!

probably not a good option for Scot'teryx.

[ 06-25-2002, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: trask ]