All Your Bases Are Covered!

Fairweather

....Tuesday, that is. If the Dems win The House - as predicted - Crux, Marylou, Foraker, Prole, Jim, et al, can pop the champange corks and celebrate a brighter future for America. rolleyes.gif And if they lose, well, it must be those evil men at Diebold rigging the machines - or some other right wing conspiracy! After all, how could any thinking citizen possibly vote differently than the majority here on cc.com! I think there is a name for this psycological condition, but it escapes me right now. Of course, you're 'right' either way, eh?

Now we're all pretty sure the Dem's will take The House on Tuesday - and I'm not really all that upset about restoring some gridlock to our government. But wouldn't it just be a hoot if the Republicans pulled it out and hung on to power yet again? I would just love to be able to log on here Wednesday and listen to the collective outrage, or turn on network news to hear words like "stunned", "demanding investigation", and "recount". Ahhh, to dream.

But, of course, I don't really think this will happen. The Dem's will win The House (but not the Senate) and attempt to cut off funding for Iraq operations, their slim majority won't be enough to overcome the howls of indignation at defunding 'the troops', a few moderate Dems will peel off - and nothing will change. Bush's tax cuts will sunset, and the Dems will be brow-beaten into submitting a compromise bill - and nothing will change. Bush will veto any goof-ball bills that make it through Republican Senate compromise - and nothing will change. The angst will only increase, and nothing will change. Enjoy Tuesday night, but just know this.... nothing's gonna change.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was in the fourth grade I can recall being upset that I was too young to cast a vote for Reagan. Casting what may literally be the single vote against Kennedy in my district will provide some small measure of consolation after all of these years.

I don't really care one way or the other if the Dems win the house again if they can't clean up the mess left by the current round of idjits. You have to admit, nothing Clinton did during his two terms fucked us more than the last six years of Bush and the last 12 years of a Republican Congress. Personally, I'll be happily surprised if the Dems manage to put together a positive agenda rather than just diving right into some vindicitive tirade against the Republicans. Despite what Our Resident Genius (come on, Fairweather, take a bow) thinks, I have nothing against conservatives. I just think the neo-conservative movement has been nothing but poisonous to both politics in this country, to our environmental laws, to our foreign and domestic policies, to our financial health, and to our relations with our allies. I'd gladly go back to the day we only had to worry about some southern dude lying to Congress about a blow job. Yeah. Now, you run along back to Ascensionist, Fairweather, because we know you have to report the goings on over here. What are you, their Boy Friday or something? Who are you trying to impress?

P.S. I'd vote Libertarian if I didn't think half their platform was nuts and probably most of their candidates.

Edited by foraker

Who are you trying to impress?

yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif This question is funny as it's coming from a social void who takes any and every opportunity to tell us all about his mail-order doctorate, his wife's upcoming GMAT test (maybe when she passes she'll finally move on to a real man), and his own scientific brilliance and intellectual prowess. What a fucking dolt. rolleyes.gif

I don't really care one way or the other if the Dems win the house again if they can't clean up the mess left by the current round of idjits. You have to admit, nothing Clinton did during his two terms fucked us more than the last six years of Bush and the last 12 years of a Republican Congress. Personally, I'll be happily surprised if the Dems manage to put together a positive agenda rather than just diving right into some vindicitive tirade against the Republicans. Despite what Our Resident Genius (come on, Fairweather, take a bow) thinks, I have nothing against conservatives. I just think the neo-conservative movement has been nothing but poisonous to both politics in this country, to our environmental laws, to our foreign and domestic policies, to our financial health, and to our relations with our allies. I'd gladly go back to the day we only had to worry about some southern dude lying to Congress about a blow job. Yeah. Now, you run along back to Ascensionist, Fairweather, because we know you have to report the goings on over here. What are you, their Boy Friday or something? Who are you trying to impress?

P.S. I'd vote Libertarian if I didn't think half their platform was nuts and probably most of their candidates.

I partially think the dems would be better off losing this time around and winning the presidency and the house in '08. the senate leans more moderate and they might get some agenda through. a contrarian house for the next 2 years just means more gridlock, and a two year campaign for the next elections. (barf)

in any case, I agree with Fairweather. nothing much is going to change no matter how this election falls. I expect a dismal turnout. interest is pretty low.

Given spending growth under divided government is less than under governments where a single party controls congress & the White House, I find the conservatives opposition and insistence nothing will change terribly amusing.

Bush may compromise with Dems to get spending on what he wants by spending more on what they want. Reagan did it in the 80s to an increasing deficit spending.

When I was in the fourth grade I can recall being upset that I was too young to cast a vote for Reagan. Casting what may literally be the single vote against Kennedy in my district will provide some small measure of consolation after all of these years.
I voted for Reagan in 1980. The political brainwashing of my parents had not worn off yet. I consider it the most embarrassing political mistake of my life. I voted for Clinton in 1984.

Bush may compromise with Dems to get spending on what he wants by spending more on what they want. Reagan did it in the 80s to an increasing deficit spending.

Average annual budget change as a percentage of U.S. gross domestic product during these administrations:

Roosevelt 14.8%

Truman -8.6%

Eisenhower -1.3%

Kennedy 0.2%

Johnson 1%

Nixon 1.6%

Ford -1.4%

Carter 1.8%

Reagan -0.6%

G. Bush 0.2%

Clinton -1.8%

G.W. Bush 2.4%

I voted for Reagan in 1980. The political brainwashing of my parents had not worn off yet. I consider it the most embarrassing political mistake of my life. I voted for Clinton in 1984.

A 44+ year-old Chemist that spends what must be the majority of his work-day on an online bulletin board....Didn't your company just get acquired? Shouldn't you be looking busy at work these days?.....or will you just blame Bush.

A 44+ year-old Chemist that spends what must be the majority of his work-day on an online bulletin board....Didn't your company just get acquired? Shouldn't you be looking busy at work these days?.....or will you just blame Bush.

Another cocksucking conservative tool living up to his reputation. Keep up the good work dickhead.

I haven't even received my 60 day notice yet. It's hard to find work when you can't even tell an employer when your last day is. I've got resumes out there, nonetheless.

A rather large severance package is contingent on staying until the last day, whenever that is. In the mean time, I'll keep spraying.

I haven't even received my 60 day notice yet. It's hard to find work when you can't even tell an employer when your last day is. I've got resumes out there, nonetheless.

A rather large severance package is contingent on staying until the last day, whenever that is. In the mean time, I'll keep spraying.

thumbs_up.gif All I can offer is my respect and best wishes. You're a class-act, CB - even if you do have some political flaws. cool.gif

thumbs_up.gif All I can offer is my respect and best wishes. You're a class-act, CB - even if you do have some political flaws. cool.gif

+1

Good luck, CBS. Hopefully "staying on" is relatively stress-free (low work level).

Another cocksucking conservative tool living up to his reputation.

So Carl are you trying to insult the guy or hit-on him? HCL.gifhahaha.gif