Golite Hex Vs BD Megamid

johndavidjr

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll give a ringing endorsement for the BD Megalight. I've used it on three ski tours, including one on Adams in 50mph+ winds at the Lunch Counter. Its not quiet in high winds, but when its tied down well its solid. When snow camping, you can completely bury the edges and it is absolutely bombproof. On a ski traverse last May we fit four men in one Megalight with no problems. thumbs_up.gif

I have a Megalite and love it. The only problem with the Siliconized fabrics is the don't breathe at all and you get lots of condensation if you can't vent it or get a good crossflow.

Oddly enough, I think the Magalight is actually lighter than the Beta (I may be wrong though)

Get either, you will love it.

I have a hex 3, plus the nest and floor. I especially like using it snow camping with no floor, and a bivy. It's never come down in bad weather, although one time in a storm on Adams I buried the edges with snow and when I tried to take it down I had to spend 20 minutes with an ice axe chopping it out.

Biggest drawbacks I've seen are that it can be loud in the wind and lots of potential partners are scared of it. I used to have a MH Trango Assault which was really bombproof but also about 8 1/2 lbs for 2 cramped people.

It can be interesting in the lowlands....my wife once used it out at Ozette and had a civet cat come in in the middle of the night. That's when I had to go get the "nest". It was that or another tent for her.

One more thing, if you use it without the floor on snow, make sure you put something under the pole.

I've used the Golite Hex 3 for snow camping over the past year or so. Seems to hold up quite well in some pretty nasty conditions. My experience has been that it vents well: I don't recall having any condensation while using it. I think this is really more of a (very spacious) two person tent: I'm sure you could figure a way to fit 3 but someone is going to be uncomfortable sleeping right up against the pole in the center.

I would note that pyramid tents seem to take a little longer to setup since you usually have to flatten out the ground a little, then make adjustments to the stakes to get everything somewhat symmetric. Then I usually pack snow around the outside of the tent to stabilize things.

All in all, I've been quite happy with mine as a lightweight shelter for snow camping.

If you look at the geometry carefully, you might note that while the mega light has less floor area, it can accomodate the sleeping pads of 4 people, whereas the hex can only fit 3. That said, I have a hex I got on ebay several years ago for cheap and have used it for snowcamping and such.

As for using the hex without a floor in the snow - I just cut an old license plate in half and set the pole on that. I'm sure there are other tricks.

I've used both. I like the (MegaLight) for its floor configuration, usable room, and weight, thought it is true you need a good square footprint.

My winter bags are wind and water resistant, no need for a heavy 1lb bivy sack.

Any single walled structure will be (colder) in the winter than a properly designed double-walled structure by morning.

I don't generaly bring tarps or pyramids above treeline in the winter because of the sail area.

Lots more room if you dig a shallow pit under the structure. Can also build benches/tables/pit toilets inside.

I have the megalight and love it. I second that most people are scared of it (as was I when I firt purchased it). The room you can have with it is great. You do need to have a good cross flow to prevent condensation. It excells as a cook tent for base camp, and i have used it in heavy snowfall. Just had to dig it out a couple of times durring the night and since i was not sleep all that well anyway it was no biggie. I would not take it above treeline with any siginificant wind, like a sail. Get it and you will not regret it!!