[TR] 21 Hours in Hyalite- 11/4/2006

kurthicks

Climb: 21 Hours in Hyalite- Dielectric, Over Easy, G2, Hangover, Lower Greensleeves

Date of Climb: 11/4/2006

Trip Report:

With the horrendous weather forecast, Matt (NYC007) and I decided to escape the northwest by heading to Hyalite…for the day. After driving the 400 miles on Friday from Spokane we arrived at the trailhead in the dark. We were psyched as we could see a bunch of routes illuminated by the full moon. Soon we were packed up and off to the Genesis area. G1 was lean and very wet, so we did Lower Greensleeves to start the season…by headlamp. After a couple laps we decided to call it a night, but apparently Matt still needed a little more of a pump.

tree.jpg

Matt getting some last minute training in.

We got up at 6am and were soon chatting with locals about conditions. We decided to head up to the Corner Climbs to do some mixed stuff, but they were out of condition. Eventually we ended up in the Slot Corner area. We started on Over Easy, a nice WI3 that led to a manky bolt anchor. Curtains was a sketchy pillar, so we skipped it.

overeasy.jpg

Me leading Over Easy

Then I went looking for other climbs up there and I soon found Dielectric Breakdown, mistaking it for Slot Corner (which isn’t in). A party was just finishing it up and the route looked great. After they were down, I lead up. Pumpy, but easier at WI5 instead of 5+ like the guide suggests. Highly recommended!

dialectric1.jpg

Me leading a fat Dielectric Breakdown

With daylight to spare we headed back to the parking lot, grabbed some food, and headed up to G2. Matt lead the driest line up the center to a tree belay below the top step since the ice wasn’t very good up top.

G2.jpg

Matt leading G2.

We finished the day on Hangover (still quite thin) and got back to the car at dark. Uneventful driving, did I mention that the road is almost entirely snow free?!, got us to Bozeman and I-90. 400 more miles home…snugtop.gif

sunset.jpg

The climbs won't last long if these warm temperatures keep up. Lots of stuff fell down yesterday.

Hope everyone had a good weekend in the gym! the_finger.gif

Gear Notes:

Ice gear

Approach Notes:

Subaru. Very little snow on the road

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then I went looking for other climbs up there and I soon found Dielectric Breakdown, mistaking it for Slot Corner (which isn’t in). A party was just finishing it up and the route looked great. After they were down, I lead up. Pumpy, but easier at WI5 instead of 5+ like the guide suggests. Highly recommended!

Kurt would agree that it was not WI5+ conditions, however, that climb is in fatter then when it ever has been climbed previously. Not sure if the previous party's got to put any gear in at all. I am glad you enjoyed it, surpirsied that you didn't go up and do Land of the Lost, an awsome climb. Hope to see you back out in Hyalite.

p.s. did you leave my biner up there or did you snag it. yelrotflmao.gif

We saw that tree on Saturday too. It looks like it fell quite recently. We rapped off a smaller slung tree off to the left of the last step. I think the tree halfway up Hangover will suffer the same fate relatively soon.

Double check your anchors before using them, even if they are huge trees!

Nope, since I have started swuinging them,, I love them. They were great on steep ice and I was getting less pumped then my buddies that followed with leashess.

I think Bryon is saying that if you want to buy them back, you will now have to pay a premium. grin.gif

John, wasn't that some stuff you dug out of the excess gear pile in your house and sold?

Great ice pics. It will come back soon, they say the freezing level is dropping around here tomorrow to 3500', should hit Montana next.