Best tick's of 06

StreetBoss

Its hugely chestbeating! I would like trip reports better if you couldnt respond to them. Stroking the climbers ego with "great job"...."your the shit".... It all ego! Like th fella who stated having a project in vantage. Thats great, I wish he/she would not have stated the grade... I mean what the hell does it matter if I know he/she is working a 13c/d. It matters to him/her. why else would they have listed the grade.

I bet YOU are getting an ego trip by attracting attention to yourself with these antagonistic posts. After all, you have gotten more replies (including this post from me!) than anyone else in the thread.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like th fella who stated having a project in vantage. Thats great, I wish he/she would not have stated the grade... I mean what the hell does it matter if I know he/she is working a 13c/d. It matters to him/her. why else would they have listed the grade.

Dude, you misunderstand! I fucking sent yo! Redpointed that shit! F fuckin' A! I am In the Zines bro! Cuz 13c/d is where it's at!

But seriously kev, it seems as though you are taking grades and anyone talking about their climbing a bit too seriously.

i'm personally psyched to hear about hard climbs being done in certain areas, cuz it gets me interested in going there. and yes, harder climbs are what i am often interested in, and grades reflect difficulty, a way to at least attempt to communicate something about a climb, admittedly in a rather abstract way that lends itself sometimes too much to an obsession with the abstraction itself. in the end it doesn't much matter if the climb was 5.9 or 5.11 or 5.14; what matters to me is that the climb possessed me (just like 5.11's used to: curious if you'd have had the same reaction if the climb was "only" 5.11), was super intriguing, took a little while to figure out, and because of this, was really rewarding to finally red-point. that's much more important to me than some numerical abstraction, but the numerical abstraction still communicates something about the climb.

You guys suck! Well, because you get to climb so much and I don't mad.gifsmile.gif.

It's nice to see that many of youare getting it done and some on a large scale. Wish I had a 5 year period like some in a season. Nice work!

I started the year off by decking climbing some bad ice (not a tick but damn glad to walk away from a 30 story fall). Nothing like a 30 footer to slow you down for a couple weeks.

But climbing Washington's Column via The Prow was good fun along with some quality free climbing in the Valley. Hopefully a little more aid at Looking Glass before the end of the year.

First 21 weeks of 2006: lived in Phoenix every Tuesday – Friday cry.gifthumbs_down.gif oh wait... frequent flier miles rockband.gif

Jan – April: Hood laps

Jan – WA Pass ice

Feb – Canmore goodness

March – Red Rocks

March – smith smith smith

April – smith smith smith

May – Stuart

May – smith smith smith

June – City of Rocks

June – Rainier Curtis Ridge all free (including permits hahaha.gifyellaf.gif)

June – Leavenworth

July – Index: North Norwegian ass kicking aka I love shuttling loads to lake serene fest pitty.gif

July – Gunsight: 2nd ascent West Face of North Peak; 1st ascent South Ridge South Peak

July – Bear Mountain – Ursa Major ass kicking; earned rappel magician merit badge pitty.gif

July – WA Pass

July - young warriors free solo

July - Beacon

August – Sawtooth trip 1 of 4: Elephants Perch: Mtneer route and Astro Elephant; The Tusk: regular route

August - Sawtooth trip 2 of 4: Elephants Perch: Mtneer route and Astro Elephant

August – Sawtooth trip 3 of 4: First Ascent SW Face of Baron Falls Tower (Carpal Tunnel); met Josh Ritter fruit.gif

August – Team Harro Wedding smile.gif

August - Beacon

September - Sawtooth trip 4 of 4: Finger of Fate: Open Book

September – Dragontail: Wickwire/Stanley

September – PDX ICE FESTIVAL rockband.gif

September – WA Pass/Ingalls

My knees still haven't forgiven me for July yellaf.gifcry.gif

I like climbing. Do you? We should go climbing wave.gifwazzup.gif

everybody else in the site seems to be psyched that their friends are climbing hard - so why is kevbone the only wet blanket?

(disclaimer: kevbone is one of my main climbing partners)

kevbone is probably the single biggest "sprayer" i have ever met in the climbing world. he loves nothing more than to walk the base of his local crags and spray beta about every route there - implying, of course, his mastery over those routes, especially the harder ones.

but this thread illustrates that people are climbing trad lines and peaks that kevbone (and me, and many other people) will never ever send. to me that's inspiring, and makes me want to get after it.

our assumptions regarding the motivations of others are usually an accurate reflection of our own motivations.

if kevbone climbed prusik this year, or vesper, or had a baby, don't you think you would have heard him "chestbeat" about it? oh wait, you already did!

This is a great thread. It's why I visit this site. I applaud everyone who has the guts to bear their inner soul and share experiences that they feel are worthy of a brag. I climbed in the late 60s when there was no CC.com, climbing magazines and very few guide books. Climbers were effectively isolated from one another and it was only though sharing the kind of experiences some might call "chest beating" that the sport grew and climbers attained access to the huge amount of information available today. So, hats off to you all.

Dont you mean "best strokes of 06"? Who can stroke the others ego better! "I climbed this or that"... "oh, how brave of you, you must be a great climber"..." I shouldnt even post near you, you might not like me. Im not that good of a climber"

Frickin Brag, brag, brag.

Makes me want to puke!!!!!

Grasshopper, until you are unaffected by the "chestbeating" of others, you will be pwned by your own.

Bro, I’m the last person to take climbing seriously.

I don't believe you, even though I don't really know what you mean with this.

Climbing is selfish. You climb for you, I climb for me!

Don't know what you mean. I guess we can be selfish about anything, including climbing, but the reverse is also possible: climbing can be about sharing.

I guess grading is OK, I have been known to get into grading. But, I try not to spray about how hard I am sending on the internet. When you brag about it openly, it’s not for the person reading about it…. it’s for the person writing it!

stating a grade isn't necessarily "bragging" (look up "brag" in the dictionary and think about it for a minute; i did). if i mentioned the fun 5.9 i did, you wouldn't accuse me of "bragging", but when i mention the superfuckincool 13c/d i did, all of a sudden i'm "bragging"; why the double standard?

I do think and have suggested to the owners to the rock gym in my area to not grade anything in the gym. No grades on routes at all. It would take the ego out of the biggest ego center around. That would be cool. Of course, this won’t happen.

i talked to stone gardens about this too, and it might happen there. but it's not like it'll really change that much, cuz you know the biggest discussions will end up being about how hard the green tape really is, or somesuch.

I think grades are a part of climbing, but it's pretty subjective as to how one relates to those numbers.

What I've Done With This Thread:

So, I picked a spot in the chestbeat bickering and spawned it off onto it's own spray thread, where folks are welcome to carry on in that vein as they please. There remains plenty of discussion on the topic woven in amongst folk's reports on these three pages, so lets be done with here and move back to the original topic.

So, a big thumbs up to anyone climbing hard or lots. I don't think I have any personal best ticks for the year outside of getting out more: cragging, hiking, alpine, the gamut. It wasn't frenetic by any means, but I think I got out more than any of the last five years, and that makes me a very happy boy. Good friends, good times, wonderful places: these are a few of my favorite things.

City_of_Rocks_-_Steve_Off_Ben_small.jpg

City_of_Rocks_-_Lloyd_Off_small.jpg

City_of_Rocks_-_Taco_small.jpg

how'bout best moment? getting crazy crunked at colchuck after belittling meself on colchuck balanced despite having what felt like a strong early summer - no finer memory than feeling busted up and a bit 'barrased drinking canuck whiskey n' puffing on god knows what looking up backbone, which i'd done in so much better style a few weeks earlier

a return to triump and a nice light chronic-themed travail stands out too

spring north face solo w/ a well-planned mp3 playlist and a gallon of hot coffee in The Amazing Chrome Artillery-Shell

luetholds solo in a howling winter gale - the only hood climb i can recall ever doing without once taking off the puff-jacket, balaclava, gloves or goggles, or even really ceasing moving for that matter, out of fear of becoming a permanent part of the landscape

dragging old friends and old fathers along on a silly sunshine-cooper spur linkup in a 100-degree heat wave - wine slushies n' avocadoes in the shade

many a fun solo out at beacon - dods (well, the first pitch anyway), Da Corner, YW

Aethelwulf Claiborn Linthwaite

spending the night screaming at mosquitoes, chain-smoking camels and barely making out the whiskey-drunken snores of layton 6 feet from a roaring waterfall amongst thickets of Hell-Fuck shrubs in the hinterland of extremely strange lutherans shan't be forgetten soon either

Edited by ivan

Even if people are just chestbeating, at least were talking about climbing. Most of the posts on this site are spray, which is fine because I mostly don't read them, but its nice to have more climbing talk. Personally, I've checked this thread everytime I logged on, because I want to see what other people are doing. I suppose I'm chest beating because I posted grades that I climbed this year. We'll if I was trying to stoke my ego, I should have lied because most decent climbers can climb much much harder than me. I admire and strive toward people who get out a lot and have accomplished difficult, interesting, or fun climbs, not disdain them for telling people about it, WHEN THEY ASK!

November - April - Ski 116 days.

Finally can call myself a telemark skier.

November - March - Ice/Mixed Climbed 18 days.

Climbed Secret Probation, Esmerelda. Soloed Redstone Pillar. Worked Amphibian, Quasimodo.

April - Spent a week in the creek, climbed Supercrack, Generic Crack, and just about anything our minimal (triple cams) rack could do.

April - Climb Triple Couloirs, Colchuck NEBC, Hood Sunshine

May-June - Backpack across Europe, got fat, out of shape.

July - Now - 30 days climbing at Beacon Rock, trying to get in shape.

Twas a rockband.gif year by my humble standards:

1 - Like Weekend says a few pages back, found some awesome new partners! wave.gif

2 - Established, with said awesome partners, 4 new awesome sport routes that we hope other awesome climbers will think are awesome. It was a new experience for me that I look forward to repeating. Awesome! Geek_em8.gif

3 - Ticked off a long-standing objective with an old friend: Hoh/Olympus Blue Glacier. cool.gif

4 - Ditto with a new partner: Complete N Ridge Stuart. cheeburga_ron.gif

5 - Ditto ditto on the W face of Sloan. wink.gif

6 - Redpointed 11a. OK, it was only Late for dinner and Overture at X38, but the last time I redpointed 11a was in 1992! blush.gif

7 - Went with Fred to Index. I bought us all icecream on the way back and he insisted on paying me for his share. To overcome his resistance to hospitality, we had to hide his money in his car. yoda.gif

8 - Contributed to Colin's hedge fund when he used his entire repertoire of aid techniques to trim the laurel in my backyard. pitty.gif

9 - Enjoyed a bluebird day on Forbidden E ridge - and we saw John Scurlock, or some aerial pirate taking a joyride in his plane, buzz by us. wave.gif

10 - Ordered a few Scurlock prints to decorate my office and they are fantastic! That man is the most kindly gentleman on this entire site, I reckon. thumbs_up.gif

11 - Survived floods of biblical proportions. Living on a hill has its benefits.

12 - Lived to see the political pendulum swing blue again! moon.gif

13 - Managed to sift some useful nuggets of advice/beta out of all of the garbage on this site. yoda.gif

Look forward to snowboarding and more climbing.

Cheers,

Rad

Edited by Rad

I am thrilled because I got to tick off two of my life goals in two weeks. Can a year get better than that?

July 29-August 6 Wonderland trail (around Rainier)

August 12-13 Summit Rainier via DC-Emmons

If anyone has ever wanted to... no wait, if anyone has ever thought about it... well, actually, if you're alive, you should do the Wonderland. SO amazing! PM if you ever want to talk about tips for doing it yourself sometime. Of course, the summit was incredible as well. The weather had us worried a little when the breeze started up at 5 mph, but that soon subsided to a dead calm. Good thing we didn't have a single cloud in the sky to go with the 5 mph breeze! grin.gif

I was really psyched about getting the Coleman Headwall this past July, having failed on it the year earlier.

I made my first trips to JTree (17 classic routes) and the Bugaboos (McTech, NER Bugaboo, WR Pigeon, Surf's Up).

I did a bunch of WA classics that had been on my list for a while:

ER/WR Forbidden

NR Stuart

SF Prusik

Adams Glacier

Had a great summer of climbing. Was able to accomplish some things on my list.

Northeast Buttress Couloir of Colchuck

Liberty Ridge

Complete North Ridge of Stuart

Backbone of Dragontail

Prussik West Ridge

Climbed Rainier via Emmons with my girlfriend

started trad climbing in the spring and was able to lead some 10d's by the end of summer.

Redpointed sport 12a.

Girlfriend started leading trad and sport.

Ultimate Link-up via bottome line-onescoop-sparrow-boomstick-ultimate everything.

Orbit-Outer Space

Got about 50-60 days of cragging in this year.

Had a good year in all, but never feels like enough.

Things I didn't accomplish:

Met more climbing partners