Are the gunks climbable in November ~Turkey Day?

I am going that direction for Thanksgiving this year and am wondering about climbing during those prebitter cold days of the east coast...

Anyone with the beta on what areas are climbable that time of year, please reply.

Specifically curious about the gunks or new river gorge.

Other suggestions for climbing around Boston area helpful.

thanks very much.

bigdrink.gif

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

definitely maybe.

As the gunks are south facing, you'll probably be okay in everything except super cold or wet conditions. The secret is to stay on the (perferably above the GT ledge) white faces, which mostly face south, and away from the corners like High Exposure, which faces northish, and is butt ass cold.

If you stay on the GT ledge, and keep climbing up from there, you'll be in good shape too.

I'd recommend megaclassics like Arrow, CCK, or modern times, but not megaclassics like ant's line, madame g's wulst (if there's wind, it's really exposed), or erect direction. You might still want a belay parka for your second.

If you're near boston, go climb ice on Mt Washington.

Mt WA....hmmm, not sure about that area, isn't that where Hugh Herr had his epic?

Another request: Anyone on this site live in those areas and want to climb some rocks Tday weekend???

I really don't want to just "boulder."

Mt WA....hmmm, not sure about that area, isn't that where Hugh Herr had his epic?

Another request: Anyone on this site live in those areas and want to climb some rocks Tday weekend???

I really don't want to just "boulder."

I have climbed in the Gunks as late as December and as early as April. Like others said though weather can be unpredictable and it can be but ass cold. One time i april I thought I was going to take my first leader fall on a 5.5, The Horseman had ice filling in all of the incut holds. Fun?! cantfocus.gif

Mt Washington is not as bad as they make out to be. Though you don't really want to go climbing on it if the summit winds are 90mph or faster, there is no place to hide from the winds once above tree line. Cannon-Black Dike was my favorite early season ice. Almost climbed it in Oct once but chickened out on a verglassed chinmey, the next it was done by several more competent parties. Check NEice.com for conditions.

For some good sporto shite, go to Rumney. It is a really fun place to climb for sport climbing and can stay a little more reasonable.

Edited by ken4ord

Mt. WA is an idiot test area. If it's brutally cold down in the valley, and high winds and storms are forecast, well, are you an idiot?

Horseman, btw, is a left/north facing corner, the precise type of climb to avoid in non warm conditions. bigdrink.gif

Rumney in November can be suicidal. Most of the crag faces south, but with just a few hours of 'warm' daylight, a normal temperature day can have, erm, 'terrific friction'.

neice.com has great conditions for ice, and a nice forum, and gunks.com has a broken search link, but generally friendly folks who will add to the list of warm winter climbs.

From 98 till 02,I climbed at least five days a month in the gunks in every month of the year. I'm afraid that I will be doing the family thing on T-Day.

Thanks for the info people!

Crackers, IF you want to climb Sat or Sun after recovering from the tday feast friday, then send me a pm.

cheers.

btw, I do not intend on carrying icetools onto my flight...I typically avoid checking on luggage so ice climbing is not really an option...

besides I'd rather climb frozen rocks in central park, nyc.