Idaho Ice?

Mjölner

I'm fairly new to the WA area and as I look at the forecast for this winter its not looking too good for getting the tools out. Given the ice in Montana/WY/Canadian Rockies - I've started wondering what the prospects for good ice in Idaho are. Anyone know of areas in Idaho with good WI-or areas to start looking in? It looks like it gets cold 'nuff out there for some stuff to form.

Edited by Mjölner

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Two years ago I spent the first week of November climbing in the Sun Valley area. There is a couple cool lines that freeze in across the valley from Trail Creek road just out of town. There is a bit of avy threat, but in early season it was plenty cold and there was only about 4 inches of snow on the ground. Also if you are looking for alpine ice, the north face of Borah Peak is really fun. Its something like 2500ft of 50* snow/ice. Its a bit remote as we spent a full day approaching and another full day walking out, but well worth it in the end. I think there is a lot of other possibilities in the Lost River range, but the downside is that its a fairly big undertaking to get to them.

The only Idaho ice I know of is on the Wyoming border, just east of Driggs, in Teton Canyon. About a dozen flows, month and weather dependent. Some form in the fall only to be buried, some last all winter, and some form in the spring in the right conditions.