questions about Cody

rhyang

I'm thinking about visiting Cody this winter, and wondering about cheap accomodations.

Also, does avy hazard generally rule out most climbs there ? I've heard that in the Canadian Rockies there is almost always something to climb even if the avy hazard is bad, but don't know about Cody.

Thanks for any info !

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I havent climbed in COdy, but I have the winter dance guide book. I believe it makes a point of mentioning how little it snows in cody. I recall something about the biggest dump ever recalled by a local was less than 2ft. Basically, the book says for the most part in a typical season avalanche hazard is non existant.

Note: This is from recollection and it is possible that I am transposing sections of the guide book.

Been there in mid February the last two seasons, the road was bare all the way to the end, the trails were bare except for some packed snow or ice in the shade and the only snow really to speak of was in the drainages. No avi hazard at all and the locals were saying it was pretty normal.

Bison Willy's has a house in town where we stayed this year, it sleeps up to two parties totalling 6 people. I recall at came out to about $150 per person for the week for the 4 of us.

There is very minimal avalanche hazard in the South Fork, but there can be windblown pockets in some drainages.

You can also camp for free out in the canyon at the campgrounds. A little cold at night, but the price is right... For those willing to drive every day, the Holiday Inn in Cody has an "ice climbers special" where you can sleep 4 people in a room for $40/night.

Get ready for some steep routes! rockband.gif

Hey ryhang,

Cody is sweet, you should go. We always pitched a tent in the Deer Creek campground for free, bring a really warm bag. The problem is drying out your wet shit, bring lots of gloves and ropes. A motel is probly better but it's kind of a long drive to town. I've heard one of the ranchers rents room in his cabin, but I don't know the name or contact info, the Cody climbing shop would know.

Don't worry about avy's, the big danger there is melted out ice in the south facing climbs. Routes like the Main Vein and stuff get sun baked and you can get stuck with bad gear and icefall.

Crossing the river can be cruxy. Mind the ranchers fences and don't take short cuts.

Lots of fun moderate routes there, and hard stuff too!

I'm thinking about visiting Cody this winter, and wondering about cheap accomodations.

Also, does avy hazard generally rule out most climbs there ? I've heard that in the Canadian Rockies there is almost always something to climb even if the avy hazard is bad, but don't know about Cody.

Thanks for any info !

Here what I can offer.

Don't stay at bison willy's if you have more then two people. We were able to talk the hotel right next to Bubba's(the best/cheapestribs in cody)for 39 buck a night. And they have a hottub. Also you don't need to worry avy danger, becuase cody is very dry and does not get much snow. Hence why you can hike to the climbs in your tennis shoes most often.

Hey ryhang, another word of advice for Cody:

The ratings are the real deal.

i.e. any of the WI4 you are familiar with at LVC will be rated WI2 there, no shit. And you won't have a trail of pock marks to hook your way up. and there is very little top-ropable ice.

be prepared. wave.gif

Here's some river crossing pics. Its not as bad as advertised usually. Sometimes you can find a way across on the ice. Otherwise you should take some old tennis shoes, wear them across, hang 'em from a tree, and wear them back across later.

DSC00365.JPG

DSC00316.JPG

I'll see you there this winter.

I recommend the hotel next to Bubba's. Here's a little tip - Bubba's has the best breakfast in the state of Wyoming.

Matt

Thanks for the info all. A couple of buddies have been up there, and confirmed what y'all have said.

Sitandbefit - your profile mentions bovines. Do they have any llamas about ? Ah, never mind, I shall inquire locally and keep a keen eye out ... grin.gif

Lambone - apologies if my note on supertaco got you riled up. To be honest, I have not read your reply on that thread as yet, but would imagine it was colorful. Have a super day bigdrink.gif

• 3 months later...