Need Wider Boots

spotly

I've been wearing Garmont GTX Towers for the last few years and they're too narrow really, so after way too many soaks in the hot tub (yeah right) it's time to part ways. Seems mountaineering boots tend to run a bit narrower. Any suggestion for a 3 season boot that has good edging and traction in snow and is a bit wider than the "norm"? I wear strap-on crampons and don't climb ice so not intersted in anything real stiff. Thanks

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been using /gasp/ REI Spirit GTX's. They are made by Raichle and have lasted longer than any Montrail boot I've owned. They are very waterproof and have plenty of space.

Yes, they are only hiking boots, but it doesn't really matter if you have strap on crampons and don't plan to ice climb with them.

Check out the link below ---I am selling these and they are an 11 wide. I think these boots would be great for what you describe. Extremely comfortable and waterproof, yet definately stiff enough for strap on crampons. Check out the Montrail Torre GTX Backpacking boots on REI.com or something to read more about them. I recommend them even if you don't buy them from me!! My favorite boots... Montrail Torre GTX New Boots For Sale

613684-IMG_1344.JPG.45fcdc3f0450d6587fede3fe6338f7ec.JPG

La Sportiva Glaciers. I have wider than normal feet, and find La Sportiva boots to fit well. I tried Scarpa Freney (old

model) before and it was too narrow for me. The Glaciers did not give me any trouble (or blisters) breaking in. They are

my all-purpose montaineering boots on most places around here.

The Glaciers have a half steel shank (so, they are not super rigid), and if you use NikWax frequntly, they

resist water quite well.

Needless to say, whichever boot you decide to buy, try them at a shop before shelling out the dough. Good luck smile.gif .

• 2 weeks later...