Trip Report Index Feedback

gapertimmy

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 months later...

I don't know how anyone else feels about this, but I've been thinking that in some cases TR content is a bit lacking.

Obviously, you can't force folks to put in route maps, photos, etc. in every TR, but I always try to put in stuff that would help someone follow my exact route, even if it is in Beckey, Smoot, or some other resource.

But, the one thing I would like to see, that I am always wondering, is cell service info.

For example, I was up on Stuart's Cascadian the other day, and it would have been great to know that you can get service at about 8500 feet, but not from the summit, etc.

Could a field be added, like for approach notes, gear, etc.? Or am I the only one who finds such info interesting?

It might be a good safety thing even.

Perhaps the wrong forum, but you guys are talking TR's.

Edited by dinomyte

Hi Timmy,

I would love to see a model similar to the one they have on mountainproject.com It is very user friendly. There is so much great information on this site regarding trip reports and beta but sometimes it is difficult to find...... I would hate to see the personal character of the trip reports here get lost, but some middle between the two models would be cool. Perhaps general beta to the areas with direct link to trip report database?

Hi Timmy,

I would love to see a model similar to the one they have on mountainproject. It is very user friendly. There is so much great information on this site regarding trip reports and beta but sometimes it is difficult to find...... I would hate to see the personal character of the trip reports here get lost, but some middle between the two models would be cool. Perhaps general beta to the areas with direct link to trip report database?

We have talked about expanding/building on the extensive info we have in the TR database. One challenge with extending what we have is going back and adding info (location based, etc) is that you have to go back and tag each entry...a time consuming manual process for a lot of the entries we have in the DB.

I curious as to what UI you think would be best for displaying this info. Right now we have the forums (of course) and the TR Search Tool. It delivers the same info as Mountain project...its just laid out different (and Mtn project breaks it down further to crag area, etc (like Pearly Gates instead of "East Side of Washington".

Good suggestions though, would love to hear more what people would like to see here.

In terms of the work....I know that many of us here would be happy to volunteer some time to help sort the database and do data entry.....just ask.

A map based search function would be a start (google earth allows this I think, and could be linked to topographical info?), from there individul peaks/crags anywhere on the planet where there are TRs could be accessed and cross-referenced to route beta. The main page for a peak/crag should have a updatable list of routes with a general outline/description and a place for conditions/route beta.....finally there should be a link to the personal TRs.

Whatever you guys end up doing...you have a real opportunity to create something amazing and useable considering the wealth of info here. There are tons of people who use this site who can offer support and help....particularly since this area is such an IT hotbed.

With a little tweaking and a logical, interactive graphical interface this database could be one of the more useable on the web.

The overall trend for many long time cc'ers is to write fewer TR's on this website anymore. Instead this website has evolved and is more for fun surfing, spraying, and other climbing banter and fun. That is ok.

Thanks for your feedback.

There are a lot of TRs about everywhere already written. I would sure like to be able to search through them better. A better search function might be nice; or maybe better directions with clearer parameters laid out.

Am I the only one still having a tough time finding TRs?

The quickest way to write a TR is to type it in Word or something, cut, paste, submit, and go out climbing again. A more laborious data entry process would reduce interest in posting TRs, I would think. A simpler, blank slate format also allows for more creativity. As for completeness of beta: PM the TR's author if you want to know more about their experience.

Good discussion here.

I totally agree that the TR features are soooo 2003, and could use some interweb 2.0 fanciness.

I personally think that emulating sites like mountainproject and/or summit post might be a bit of an overkill in this regard as, well, these sites have already done a fine job of creating structured databases of regions/routes etc.

Rather, I personally agree with tvash's approach of less is more, and allowing a less structured TR format creates less work for everyone involved.

Though with advancements in online mapping tools, and great js libraries keeping a simple TR format, while at the same time enhancing searching/indexing of the data could definitely be improved upon.

I have been working on a similar project for the past few months that I think may be of use here on cc.com as well. And if the format is found to be useful we will definitely need some help getting some of the 'old' data indexed accordingly.

TR Index does not search/record/etc TRs from new forums (Idaho, Montana, California, etc etc).

Might be wise to build that in while these new forums are still in their infancy and not a lot of back digging would be required.

Regardless of features TR index is extremely valuable cc resource... thanks for maintaining it!

There are a lot of TRs about everywhere already written.

Actually, I do not agree with this statement.

There are more peaks out there that have not been written up on. That's becuase no one really goes to them....and I can vouch by seeing only limited people signing those registers.

For example, I haven't seen anyone do a trip report on the north face or west face of Pocket Peak. What about Ghost? What about Chimney Rock? What about Mt. Christie? not much. Lots of peaks out there, just that people do the same peaks over and over.