A Call to Arms: The Stawamus / Indian FSR

Mr_Sleazy

Hello Squamish climbers and backcountry users:

The Stawamus road that goes up behind the Chief and over to Indian Arm has been closed and gated now for a couple of years, ostensibly due to a bridge washout. The Squamish Forest District website lists this info on their page:

STAWAMUS/

INDIAN RIVER Wilderness Forest Service Road

Closed - no public access; bridge out at approximately 16.5km

** no anticipated opening date **

The road is barricaded and gated just above the chlorine shack on the Mamquam, and the only way through now is on foot, or with a mountain or dirt bike. The District has spent mucho $$$ on installing boulder blockades and ditching to prevent 4x4 access.

The Stawamus / Indian is a major access point for some very good climbing. Included on the list:

The south face of Habrich (Life on Earth and other good routes)

Sky Pilot and Ledge Mtn (very important alpine area)

Fluffy Kitten Wall on the NE side of Habrich

The Solarium (yes its shorter and less elevation to go in from behind the Chief)

Also lots of winter ice up in the Stawamus Valley

I am urging climbers to email the Squamish Forest District and voice their concern over the closure of this road. It is very close to becoming a permanent closure, though when it started the District said it would be temporary. Please email the Squamish Forest District [Forests.SquamishDistrictOffice@gov.bc.ca] to let them know. To make it easier, you may wish to cut and paste the following message into your email:

Hello:

I am emailing to voice my concern over the continued closure of the Stawamus / Indian FSR, currently gated close to the bottom of the road. This road is a major recreational access point to alpine and subalpine climbing terrain, and is very important to the climbing community. Closure of access roads to backcountry areas substantially increases use impacts to frontcountry areas, such as the Stawamus Provincial Park, as recreational users are confined to more restricted locations.

I strongly urge you to re-open this road.

Thank you in advance for your consideration.

/

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I would be against openning the road. This summer we mt biked up to fluffy kitten wall to the wonderful thing about tiggers, it was probably the nicest climb I've ever done, really fun! One of the greatest things about it was that there was no one else around! It was a nice change to the zoo of other crags closer to the road (not that it's unexpected). Gertlush is right, such a fast & fun ride back.

I would be against openning the road. This summer we mt biked up to fluffy kitten wall to the wonderful thing about tiggers, it was probably the nicest climb I've ever done, really fun! One of the greatest things about it was that there was no one else around! It was a nice change to the zoo of other crags closer to the road (not that it's unexpected). Gertlush is right, such a fast & fun ride back.

No one goes there anyway, regardless of the road :snugtop:

I think this is a key point to Sleazy's post:

Closure of access roads to backcountry areas substantially increases use impacts to frontcountry areas, such as the Stawamus Provincial Park, as recreational users are confined to more restricted locations.

• 6 months later...

I went up to do Life on Earth on Habrich last weekend. We brought our mtn bikes for the occasion, but on a scouting trip the night before we decided to just walk in. We had planed on spending a few days back in the Shannon Creek Valley, so we had all of our climbing and camping gear, making out panniers and packs just too heave to push up half the way. It would be nice to have the bikes for the coast out, but most of the trail is seriously fuct and it would be more trouble than it’s worth (maybe it’s smoother to Fluffy Kitten?). I’ll post some picts that we took so you can see the conditions. The last 2km of trail are in real bad shape; very overgrown. It rained for three days, so we did not get to do any climbing, but it was nice to be at a climbing location in Squamish and not see anyone for three days. Very rare.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for setting this up. I also emailed as per the post and added the following personal statement.

I first climbed Sky Pilot in 1992 after driving all the way to the end of the spur road. Since that time I have climbed in that area approximately every other year with constantly decreasing access. Both historically and recreationally this area is very important. I find it hard to believe that Squamish is trying to position itself as the recreation capital of Canada and is at the same time closing access to the closest and some of the best almost alpine granite in the area (Haybrich is a real gem). If cost is part of the equation limiting access please advertise that fact to the outdoor community because I think that people may be willing to step up to the fundraising plate to ensure access to such an important recreation area.

Doug Brown.