st helens info?

jmo

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got a guidebook? Good. Lets start from there.

The route this time of year is scree/trail. Not so much fun, but it'll get you to the crater rim. Bring a short set of gaiters to keep the kitty litter out of your boots/shoes. Carry all the water you'll need to drink; you won't find any running water to get any from.

Weather this time of year is changeable; get a solid forecast before you head up. There was some fresh snow up there, from what I saw from Hood the other day, but I'll bet it's gone by now. Have fun, take lots of pics. I believe that it's past permit season (or will be) so that's no longer an issue.

I believe that it's past permit season (or will be) so that's no longer an issue.

With the new permit system in place, do they really have an "off" season? I'd be pleasantly surprised to hear that you can climb it for free and without reservation at ANY point during the year (like the dead of winter).

Chad, are you for-sure? I really don't know myself; just wondering.

http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/recreation/mount-st-helens/

Climbing at a Glance

Climbing Permits

Climbing Permits are required year-round to climb above 4,800 feet elevation. Each person must read and sign their permit before climbing. Each person must display their permit during their climb.

A climbing permit fee of $15.00 plus a service charge of $7.00 per person are charged for a one day climbing permit from April 1 through October 31. The total cost is $22.00. Climbing permit fee and administrative charge are not refundable. Please plan accordingly.

All Mount St. Helens climbing permits are sold by the Mount St. Helens Institute.

Climbing is limited to 100 climbers a day from May 15 through October 31. The maximum party size is 12 people.

Climber registration is required. The Climbers Register is located outside Jack's Restaurant & Store.

Any commercial use, including paid guiding is prohibited, unless authorized by a Special Use Permit.

During the winter recreation season, from mid-November through April, a Washington or Oregon State Sno-Park permit is required for parking at either the Cougar or Marble Mountain Sno-Parks.

Climbing Season - November 01-March 31

A permit is required.

A permit fee is not charged.

Climbing use is unrestricted.

On-line registration is not required.

You must register and pick up your permit at Jacks.

I still have three blank permits and parking passes Jack's gave me...

http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/threadz/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/596281/an/0/page/0#596281

Aha! Goddamn. See, I'm confused as usual. A permit is required, but no fee. Man, why do they have to make things so inefficient?

A permit is required.

You must register and pick up your permit at Jacks.

http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/recreation/mount-st-helens/permit-system.shtml

Climbing & Permit Fees Table

Mount St. Helens - Climbing Permit Fee System

Season Climbing Limits Fees Charged

April 01 - May 14 n/a Fee Charged

May 15 - October 31 100 permits per day Fee Charged

November 01 - March 31 n/a n/a

A permit is required.

Yep. I talked with the ranger at the GPNF station and he said this almost verbatim.

I'm heading up shortly after the snow falls! thumbs_up.gifbigdrink.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
I always thought that a climb from inside the crater direct to the summit on rim would be a sweet necessarily dead-of-winter climb. You think it will ever happen ... ever be allowed?

Who cares if it is allowed weather like this should make it a great front pointer, and a first accent. [ Hard to find one of those}.