Mount Baker Rescue

mr.radon

Went for a day hike today, and watched live a helo rescue of a climber stuck in a crevasse. The word was he fell in around 4PM (solo climber) last night. SAR spent the night with him and this morning around 10AM they pulled him up and out, then helo'ed him out with a Navy Blackhawk helo. Happened about 200 yards up from the rocks. I got ton of pictures of the rescue and a full video of the guy getting pulled up. The helo flew just feet over our heads, wild stuff.

SAR reported a suspected broken femur and pelvis. Anyone know what actually happened? Is he going to be okay? Having just gotten over a bad injury myself I wish this dude the best.

I had carried my skis up hoping to get a few turns, but it was butt cold and way too icy.

confused.gifconfused.gif

Edited by mr.radon

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I talked to my BMRC buddy who was part of the rescue.

Here's the scoop:

2 Guys from WWU, unroped, on glacier, 3/4 up slope beneath high camp, guy takes fall down slope (no helmet) and into 65-70 foot crevasse. Friend climbs down (dude in hole has rope), gets him on pad, gets him in sleeping bag, heads out, gets help. Longstory short, the guy was AO4 pretty much the whole time, pretty banged up, really, really lucky. He's at harborview in the O.R. this morning(high femur fracture), but he's expected to make a full recovery.

If you were involved with the rescue:

Please PM me with your mailing address and full name. Explain to me why you want the pictures and I'll send a CD with all the pictures/videos and permission to reprint or use the pictures as you wish. I already sent a CD to the Bellingham SAr group.

Thanks for all the positive feedback.

I don't see why this is "morally repulsive". I'm a paramedic, an ER RN, former flight paramedic and SAR Team member. I see it as very cool and impressive in addition to being very educational. No patient confidentiality has been violated, no one died. It's great stuff stuff.

I don't see why this is "morally repulsive". I'm a paramedic, an ER RN, former flight paramedic and SAR Team member. I see it as very cool and impressive in addition to being very educational. No patient confidentiality has been violated, no one died. It's great stuff stuff.

it's his signature, dude hahaha.gifhahaha.gifhahaha.gif

I guess I still don't see his signature. ???

it's his signature, dude hahaha.gifhahaha.gifhahaha.gif

Steve,

"technically excellent, morally repulsive is not a comment about this conversation, or this rescue. Its an automatic footnote that is added to the end of every one of Oly's posts. Relax. smirk.gif

Hey Steve, sorry for the confusion, my signature is directed at myself and no one else, though my self esteem isn't really that low. I have nothing but respect for what you and yours does. thanks.

/porter

...I'm a paramedic, an ER RN, former flight paramedic and SAR Team member. ...

Thanks for letting us know.

lol.....Damn, I've been a medic for 12 years, can tube in 3 seconds, start lines in a moving vehicle (back roads), and have delivered 27 babies, and spent 17 days at Ground Zero getting payed overtime..........and still haven't said shit about it 'til now.

I'm outta here, getting a beer.

I love BMRC as well was with them for 2 years before heading south. Here's a mission fact destined to amaze- 15 ice screws were used for all the anchors. Sounds like it was very slick up there- maybe not being roped was the way to go? From what one of the rescuers told me "I wish I had brought a file for my crampons."