Three Sisters Marathon?

DonnV

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by DonnV:
Anyone done this or have info on best direction, approach and exit from the area? Thinking about a long solo day later on, and can arrange for drop-off at one trailhead and pick-up at another.

Thats on my tic list as well. Rumor has it that the best way is north to south.

When ya thinking of going? Are you skiing it?

You will deffenetly wont to climb from north to south, the north sister takes the most energy to climb... you can get to the best climbing ridge up the north bitch via Scotts pass... only need minamal gear unless your going in the snow... I hate the snow, unless its in little drinking water patches... shocked.gif" border="0

Coming in via Scott's Pass would add extra distance to the effort, although that area north of the North Sister has an interesting collection of cinder cones. Shorter would be to start at Frog Camp and head up the west side from the Prouty Memorial, though only little longer and quite interesting is the approach skirting the base of Collier Cone and then up the Collier Glacier (it has very few cravasses, even in late season). From the trailhead west of Three Creek Lake (Squaw Creek, maybe, or Snow Creek?) you could do it without having to shuttle a car.

Yeah I'd like to hear more from people who have done this, especially on skis.

On a side note I'm planning on cloning mattp and giving him/them out as a supplement to the CAG so everyone can have their own effortlessly cool alpine beta buddy.

Friends and I did it in the mid 80's. We entered from the NW. I don't remember the name of the trail but its the one that crosses the obsidian flow. We came out by the normal S approach to the S Sister. I'm aquainted with 1 person who did it several times before we did it. It's not as long as it looks. It took us 14.5 hours without skiis in June. If you know any PCOBS instructors they may be helpful as they've been doing marathons in that area for 30 years. Bring lots of water:} Good luck, have fun!

S

Last May I did Middle and South in a day with skiis. It was a load of fun. I went to the saddle between Middle and North, climbed the N ridge of the Middle and then skied off the SE ridge of Middle. It was really good. Then I went across the Prouty glacier, up the Prouty headwall and then skied down the standard route on South. I went in from Pole Creek and exited to the Cascade Lakes HWY. This trip took 10 hours trailhead to trailhead.

One obvious way to do it(the marathon) would be to enter via Pole Creek, go to the saddle between North and Middle, climb North first and then Middle and then to South. I think this would be the quickest way to tag all three in a day. Although some folks would say that its not a traverse doing it this way, just a marathon.

Do it in spring as skiing makes the whole thing a lot of fun. If you wait till summer, it'll be an endless screefest.

You can get pretty close to Pole Creek trailhead by early to mid April.

[ 03-31-2002: Message edited by: Billy ]

we breifly considered the marathon this past week. sisters ranger district told us you can only drive to within eight miles of pole creek trailhead. needless to say, we bailed.

it was very warm and sunny up there over the past week, so the snow is melting fast. maybe by the next full moon the road will be passable.

i second the opinion that you don't want to go in summer due to the lack of snow (and abundance of scree). i also agree that you probably want to get north out of the way first while your head is still in it.

jes don't be like the dude from bellevue who last summer in july i think attempted s->n. homeboy took one liter of water and some gorp, and was going light and fast. he was last seen on the summit of south, and they never found his body.

definately do it with snow, scree fest is had in late summer. right now SL is about 6k, and we have a weak front coming in over the weekend.

i'd be happy to drive out and check the roads in a week or so and post the findings

www.odot.state.or.us-travel-reports-odotosp2.txt for road conditions although the roads stay closed for awile... maybe longer this year... so much snow...

speeking of never finding his body, there are tails of vagrant theives and murders who live up in the wilderness of oregon... people have encounrted them along the PCT mostly... and they are not very friendly... hermits living off the land and the thievery of the backpacker... I always pack heat with me when traveling out there...

Good Luck...

[ 04-05-2002: Message edited by: Country Jake ]

quote:

Originally posted by Country Jake:

speeking of never finding his body, there are tails of vagrant theives and murders who live up in the wilderness of oregon... people have encounrted them along the PCT mostly... and they are not very friendly... hermits living off the land and the thievery of the backpacker... I always pack heat with me when traveling out there...

Good Luck...

[ 04-05-2002: Message edited by: Country Jake ]

serious?

Originally posted by TIMM@Y:[QB]homeboy took one liter of water and some gorp, and was going light and fast. he was last seen on the summit of south, and they never found his body.QUOTE]

There was a confirmed sighting at the col between North and Middle. That was the point last seen for the climber. Most presume he is somewhere on the west face of N. Sister at this time.

F@#% yes I'm serious... about the forrest people... I've herd stories about them following big groups for miles... Friends said they have just cought glimpses and found carvings in the trees just beyond camp... never known any one who was killed by one of them but, know people that had their hole packs stolen in the middle of the night, and then found pices of the pack scatered further down the trail...Some of the old timers that have spent years hiking along the trail tell stories of them... some of them have stories of death among the backpacking groups... though the athourities have never found evidence of people they call it bear incidents or missing persons... never murder... call it bears if you want but I no better than to under estimate the forrest people...

I don't know man... human theives and killers are a lot easyer to belive than big hair creatures no one has ever seen... or at least can proove...I know that i'm convinced enough that I don't go out there with out packin' some heat...

[ 04-08-2002: Message edited by: Country Jake ]

quote:

Originally posted by imorris:
There was a confirmed sighting at the col between North and Middle. That was the point last seen for the climber. Most presume he is somewhere on the west face of N. Sister at this time.

actually the only confirmed sighting was on the devils lake trail to south sister (typical south route) around 7am of the morning he began his hike. he had just almost arrived at the level plateu there... and that was the last time anyone saw him.

i hear they are going back to check a rockfall area on n sister though after someone from lane county saw something foreign there last fall through some binocs.

I thought the only strange creatures roaming the forests of OR were the Rainbows. Although I have heard they can rob you blind, clean out a whole mini mart in minutes. It's gotta be hard supporting yourself when you haven't worked a day in your life. [laf]

The rainbows suck man... I was in prinvile during their big in-campment there... and had to go to the hospital for a buddies infection in his leg wile we were camping... saw one of those dudes lyin' there with chest hair grow ing through his t-shirt... he smelled up the hole F#$%in' e-room... frown.gif" border="0