dogs on the muir snowfield

fheimerd

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From http://www.nps.gov/archive/mora/general/pets.htm:

Pets in the Park

Before You Bring Your Pet to Mount Rainier…

Please consider the following points:

Having a pet with you may limit your activities and explorations in the park. Pets are not allowed in the wilderness, on trails, off roads, on snow, or in buildings or amphitheaters. Basically, your pet can only go where your car can go (service animals excepted). If you plan to hike, someone will need to stay behind with the pet.

Exception: Dogs are allowed on a leash (not more than 6' long) on the Pacific Crest Trail.

Pets need to be on a leash (not more than 6' long) or in a cage. They must be under your physical control at all times. Do not leave your pet unattended at any time.

Pets are an attractant for cougars. Leaving your pet tied at a campsite is illegal and dangerous.

There is no kennel service in the park.

Note: I've been told personally by a Ranger that "Do not leave your pet unattended at any time" includes your car. To be really clear, I was told that it isn't alright to leave a dog unattended in a car. The Ranger went on to tell me that cars have been broken into by Law Enforcement Rangers to rescue animals in danger (usually from heat exhaustion/stroke) on warm days.

I've taken my dog all over Mount Rainier, and I clean up the mess. My sister is a vet and I got a "seeing eye dog in training" vest. The rangers don't ticket me since they HAVE to let you bring the dog. I talked to Gator about this in a post a few years ago, but if you can't get a vest and your dog isn't as well trained as mine don't do it. But anytime you hike with an animal pickup the waste. I hate getting dog doo out of the skins of my skis... :-(

I'm pretty sure the "no pets" thing applies in all of the NPs.

From http://www.nps.gov/archive/mora/general/pets.htm:

Pets in the Park

Before You Bring Your Pet to Mount Rainier…

Please consider the following points:

Having a pet with you may limit your activities and explorations in the park. Pets are not allowed in the wilderness, on trails, off roads, on snow, or in buildings or amphitheaters. Basically, your pet can only go where your car can go (service animals excepted). If you plan to hike, someone will need to stay behind with the pet.

Exception: Dogs are allowed on a leash (not more than 6' long) on the Pacific Crest Trail.

Pets need to be on a leash (not more than 6' long) or in a cage. They must be under your physical control at all times. Do not leave your pet unattended at any time.

Pets are an attractant for cougars. Leaving your pet tied at a campsite is illegal and dangerous.

There is no kennel service in the park.