• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

XXX, you make a lot of assumptions:

- bones are indeed human

- if so, the subject died on-scene, as opposed to being dumped there

- that the death was homicidal

But maybe with your common sense demonstrated thusfar, you do pack some heat to even your odds the next time you're threatened by rockfall, avalanche, storm, etc.?

Why does everyone get so defensive when someone says they pack a weapon? What difference does it make to you if someone carries a gun? So some folks want to protect themselves from threats by packing a weapon, it's completely within our rights as Americans to do so according to the Second Amendment, so get over it. wazzup.gif

... it's completely within our rights as Americans to do so according to the Second Amendment, so get over it. wazzup.gif

Don't start this again. The Second Amendment says nothing about keeping or carrying weapons for personal protection.

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Don't hold your breath or anything else...most folks don't know a dog bone from a people bone from a funny-shaped rock. I took courses in this kind of stuff in graduate school and they tried to fool us with bones from manatee's, and all kinds of freaky things to see if they could stump us on identifications.

Back in the day, at a certain beach in So. Cal., I recall some kids were digging around in the sand and found a small collection of small bones. Upon examination by the lifeguard, a real expert in such matters, it was determined that they were the bones of an infant, and the police were notified. End results: KFC...chicken bones from chicken lunch.

"Hi! I'm Dave the Lifeguard! I'll save your life AND I'm trained in faunal analysis and human osteology!"

lifeguard-samlg.gif

Another bone anecdote...working at an archaeological site in Israel, we used to have occasional visits by the local ultra-orthodox folks who were concerned that we might be finding human bones. They'd look through the chain-link fence surrounding our excavation and yell and scream when they'd see bones in our sifting screen. So very angry they would be. (The assumption is that they were Jewish bones and they were not to be messed with.) They weren't people bones, but were typically from goats, so while our visiting friends might be world-class experts on Talmudic issues, they knew SQUAT about bones. So we'd take them aside nicely, calm them down, and told them about the goats and that we'd let them know if we found some exciting human bones. Later....we found a strange looking pot....looked just like the kind of pot they used to put sacrificed infants into at Carthage (some of our guys had worked at Carthage and had found loads of these things). Not wanting to cause alarm and invite van loads of angry, bearded, black-hatted protesters, we "excavated" the jars contents in our little indoor lab. Sure enough, bones began to appear...and a strange roundish object.....the end result: an egg and pieces of chicken....no joke....some guy's lunch from over 2000 years ago.

In short...don't get so worked up about people finding a few bones until someone who knows has taken a look at it. But then again....bones don't last very long in the forest so if there really are there, they are probably relatively recent.

P.S. Don't be flaunting bones around these guys:

ny1_2898.jpg

I, and millions of other Americans, say you're wrong.

Regardless of your interpretation of the Second Amendment... the fact remains that I carry a pistol every day, and I am allowed by law to do so. Not only that, I can and will use said pistol if I am in fear of imminent bodily harm. No amount of semantics can get around that.

It is not "semantics." It is much closer to "plain English."

However, your right to self defense is an old concept from English common law and it is written into our criminal code, so you are safe in your belief that you may protect yourself appropriately. At least for now. One day we may get some common sense and try to reduce the # of guns in circulation.

I guess the NRA doesn't speak plain English?

But alas, there goes that liberal logic again. Take away all the guns from people and make the world a safe, cozy, quaint little place. Wrong.

We'd all be safer if all law-abiding citizens owned a gun. Do you think the meth addict might think twice about breaking into granny's house if they know she's packing heat? Hint: Yes.

If we ban guns, only the criminals will have them. I don't know about you, but to me that sounds a little unfair.

Swimming pools are dangerous. Babies are dying every year by drowning in swimming pools. Never mind better parental supervision, we should just ban pools to make things safe.

Climbing is a dangerous sport. People are dying every year from falling. We should outlaw climbing to make the world a safer place.

If it saves one child...

I guess the NRA doesn't speak plain English?

Nope. They speak slogans like "outlaw guns and only outlaws will have guns" and spew obvious baloney like "We'd all be safer if all law-abiding citizens owned a gun" and talk about how unarmed grandmas are such common targets for meth heads.

The Federalist Papers Continued – "The Original Right of Self-Defense"

The Founders realized insurrections may occur from time to time and it is the militia's duty to suppress them. They also realized that however remote the possibility of usurpation was, the people with their arms, had the right to restore their republican form of government by force, if necessary, as an extreme last resort.

"The original right of self-defense" is not a modern-day concoction. We now examine Hamilton's Federalist No. 28. Hamilton begins:

That there may happen cases in which the national government may be necessitated to resort to force cannot be denied. Our own experience has corroborated the lessons taught by the examples of other nations; that emergencies of this sort will sometimes exist in all societies, however constituted; that seditions and insurrections are, unhappily, maladies as inseparable from the body politic as tumors and eruptions from the natural body; that the idea of governing at all times by the simple force of law (which we have been told is the only admissible principle of republican government) has no place but in the reveries of these political doctors whose sagacity disdains the admonitions of experimental instruction.

Hamilton explains that the national government may occasionally need to quell insurrections and it is certainly justified in doing so.

Hamilton continues:

If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no recourse left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government, and which against the usurpations of the national rulers may be exerted with infinitely better prospect of success than against those of the rulers of an individual State. In a single State, if the persons intrusted with supreme power become usurpers, the different parcels, subdivisions, or districts of which it consists, having no distinct government in each, can take no regular measures for defense. The citizens must rush tumultuously to arms, without concert, without system, without resource; except in their courage and despair.

Hamilton clearly states there exists a right of self-defense against a tyrannical government, and it includes the people with their own arms and adds:

[T]he people, without exaggeration, may be said to be entirely the masters of their own fate. Power being almost always the rival of power, the general government will at all times stand ready to check the usurpations of the state governments, and these will have the same disposition towards the general government. The people by throwing themselves into either scale, will infallibly make it preponderate. If their rights are invaded by either, they can make use of the other as the instrument of redress. How wise will it be in them by cherishing the union to preserve to themselves an advantage which can never be too highly prized!

Thus the militia is the ultimate check against a state or the national government. That is why the founders guaranteed the right to the people as opposed to only active militia members or a state's militia. But of course, via the militia clause, the Second Amendment acknowledges, as well, the right of a state to maintain a militia.

That said, health statistics tell us that gun owners are much more likely to be injured or killed by their own gun than by an intruder or attacker's gun.

Owning a gun is a dangerous choice, but it is one that the founding fathers wanted us to be able to make.