Argentina / Aconcagua

Hey all,

Im planning a trip to Argentina / Uruguay / Chile next summer for 6-7 weeks. I know im completely out of season for any type of climbing, but does anybody know of any cool towns to visit up in the andes that arent shut down in the winter? Or for that matter, how high up on Aconcagua you could get in the middle of July? Im just looking for some suggestions of where to go, things to see in that part of the world...

Thanks!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Which summer? Most of the "cool towns" are open 4 seasons. Get on bus, go down Chilean side. Hit end of the world, go back up Argentine side.

Btw: skip Uruguay. Paraguay is interesting... there isn't much to Uruguay and what there is is better in Buenos Aires.

If you want mountains in South America in July you should go to Bolivia or Peru. rockband.gif I really have to recommend Bolivia. Cheapest country in South America and some of the most amazing scenery anywhere...plus, the people are really cool. I haven`t been to Chile or Argentina but I would recommend you save them for December/January...however, if you are bringing skis then it`s a whole other story...the skiing looks incredible down there.

I was there in December/January/March/April

cool places in/near the Argentine mountains: Bariloche, El Bolson (the brewery has a climbing wall!), Esquel. Mendoza, though it's only peripheral.

cool places in/near the Chilean mountains: Puerto Williams (which will suck in winter), Chaiten (P. Pumalin is amazing!), Coihaique (take the Carreterra Austral between the two - AWESOME!)

places overrun with gringo tourists and not high on my nice list: Pucon, P. Natales, Punta Anus, El Calafate

Other places to see -

Valparaiso, Chile. Sit in the sun, eat amazing seafood, look at public art everywhere, and listen to the Jazz shop blasting good tunes to the public cool.gif

Paraguay - It's one of the least touristed sections of S. America - the UNESCO heritage site Jesuit missions are awesome. I went to Encarnacion & C. del Este. C del Este is like Tijuana. If I'd had huevos I would have taken my camera out and shot the woman with a chicken coop on her head walking past the sign that said "No Live Animals allowed across the border into Paraguay" Encarnacion is a nice cool city - and as said, the missions are amazing.

B. Aires - chill and drink with Gringos or enjoy the art and culture of a capital city at a fraction of what it'd cost you at home. The Art Museum, city museum, and Teatro Colon are worth a visit.