Snowshoes

gearup5000

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would go with one of the MSR Denali models. I've used them on many winter scrambles and have really liked them. They side hill better than traditional snowshoes and also have heel lifts on some models which are really nice to have on steep sections.

The literature of I've come across has the same consensus:

MSR denali is the way to go.

Just hoping to pick up something that you can't see coming w/o actual use ex: in -40 0C the 7076 stays in my pack flexed PERFECTLY when I used the load lifters.

^^Means more than "7076 is cooler than 6061"

Thansk for the speedy replies!

I like the Denalli. I think that they are the most bang for the buck. However, I did an eval on the lightnings when they were new out. They do as well as my old Denalli's and with the fabric deck they were way less noisy. None of the clack, clack, clack you get from the plastic if the snow is a little hard on top. If I ever bought slowshoes again I would go with the lightnings.

The only down side to them is that they do not accept the tail extensions. If you are going to be extra heavy or in extra fluff there is no helping them out a little.

If you want lightweight, go with a pair of Northern Lites. I've got the Backcountry model and it's unreal how light it is. For climbing up steep terrain, I use Denali's. TSL Sports makes a nice model with even more impressive grip on steeps called the Grip Escape.

Got a pair of the Lightning Ascent's at a sale last winter in the longer size. I had been using Denali Ascent's for a couple seasons before that. The denali's are pretty bombproof, but with the 8" tails the rivets have been known to pop off that hold the tails on (fixed mine with a stove bolt).

IMO The lightnings seem to do better at traversing in springtime slushy conditions in Sierra cement and Cascades concrete than the denali's. I don't know if the lightnings might be less durable than the denali's. YMMV

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Any new reviews / opinions on MSRs. Trying to decide on Denali Evo Accents vs Lightining Accents

Go with Denali Ascents. I have a friend who weighs about 180lbs and broke the fabric on the Lightning Ascents on the second day out. I have heard of rumors of other people breaking on the fabric too. But I also know someone who weighs about 120lbs and loves the Lightning Ascents.

I just bought a shitload of MSR Denali snowshoes. They have held up well with multiple newbie users. Plus the tails to add floatation are great, they facilitate keeping the snowshoes narrow which makes walking easy. Price is very good for what you get. Easy to carry on a pack, and the tails can be put inside if you want a lower profile.

I have MSR Lightnings. They're consideraby lighter than the Denalis and grip on up and sidehills wonderfully. I really like them.

TTK...not being argumentative, but if I look at MSR's website the weight difference between the lightening and the Denali at 22inches is only 2 oz.

That's HUGE!!!!!!11111!!!!

Plus the Denalis make that slappy sound that I hate.

Plus Ivan blew out the pivot plate on his Denalis on a trip this year, but then again, Ivan is the size of a T Rex.

Ivan's a biggun fo sho.

Seeing you blastin up the trail while I lumbered down with my skis overhead catchin every other tree made me think that while I love skiis for an approach, a nice simple pair of snowshoes might be nice to have in the quiver for certain trips - last weekend being perfect example. I was doin the weight calc and figure I could shave ~ 8 lbs. between the skis and boots for trips when the need for floatation is questionable, and/or I'd like the climbing performance of my mountaineering boots over my ski boots.

Plus Ivan blew out the pivot plate on his Denalis on a trip this year, but then again, Ivan is the size of a T Rex.

Ivan's a biggun fo sho.

Seeing you blastin up the trail while I lumbered down with my skis overhead catchin every other tree made me think that while I love skiis for an approach, a nice simple pair of snowshoes might be nice to have in the quiver for certain trips - last weekend being perfect example. I was doin the weight calc and figure I could shave ~ 8 lbs. between the skis and boots for trips when the need for floatation is questionable, and/or I'd like the climbing performance of my mountaineering boots over my ski boots.

I loves me some skiin', but that Colchuck/Mounty Creek approach sucks on skis in any conditions. I use my snowshoes a lot these days for stuff like that.

Once the south facing snowpack corns up I think skinning up our descent route on Argonaut, then over to Colchuck and skiing down to the lake would be a kewel trip, though.

I've gotta get some cheap, punk ass AT gear for my climbing boots, though. Skis really come in handy on that road, but tely boots are a real hassle on mixed trips.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

should say though, in their defense, those denalis survived 6 years of serious abuse, including an expedition to their name-sake mountain - i was very happy w/ the use i got out of them and a big fat bastard like me really can't go anymore lightweight on the slowshoes w/o losing all flotation

• 2 weeks later...

I have had a pair of Denalis for years and I am sick of them. Atlas or Redfeather decked snowshoes are much nicer to trudge in. The hard plastic is not only noisy but puts more stress on legs, shins in particular. The stiff plastic and rigid hinge of the Denalis prevents the snowshoe from flexing with the terrain and so forces your foot to move with the snowshoe which is less comfortable and, in some snow conditions, less secure.