War vs. Research

fear_and_greed

In a few short years during WW2 the concerted efforts US and allied scientists made it possible to produce nuclear weapons. For $20 billion in todays dollars the jump in technology was astounding.

The occupation of Iraq has already cost 1/3 of a trillion dollars. Instead of leaving a legacy of debt and destruction, think of the alternative fuel research that could be done for that. The decline of petroleum sources is very real is not going to go away. The impact of first dwindling then non existent supplies will change the "civilized world" back to the horse and buggy era unless new sources are discovered, developed, brought to mass market and adopted.

Think also of the education, health care and infrastructure programs that could be put in place for these dollars.

I don't understand why the smart people in the US are not totally and absolutely disgusted with the direction their government is heading.

A movement that cannot be silenced is required to bring the truth to light and act upon it.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The War in Iraq has been classic boil the frog.

These people want to kill us. It will be easy. The cost will be about $65 billion.

Ooops. Maybe they didn't have the weapons to kill us, but don't worry this will be easy. Cost about $100 billion.

Oh shit. If we leave now all those dead soldiers will be sacfriced for nothing and chaos will ensue, repeat until 2008. Costs continue to mount.

Think also of the education, health care and infrastructure programs that could be put in place for these dollars.

I don't understand why the smart people in the US are not totally and absolutely disgusted with the direction their government is heading.

We're too busy fighting for grant money so that we have a job.

We're counting on Europe and Canada. They have a fraction of our millitary spending, and look at all of the world-changing innovation and high quality research that they crank out every year.

The fundamental problem with the set of assumptions that you bring to this hypothetical is that you are assuming that crisis-spending would occur in the absence of the said crisis. I don't see any evidence that this assumption is correct.

crisis-spending would occur in the absence of the said crisis.

In what way does the $7-9 billion an month we're blowing on Iraq constitute crisis spending? A crisis of our own making, perhaps.

Don't you sleep safer at night knowing Saddam Hussein isn't pointing the WMD he didn't have at you and isn't training the terrorists who weren't there?

WWII or Iraq - in either case, I'm not sure that the assumption that moneys spent on either would necessarily be raised by the government had the millitary action not occured, and it's even less likely that had an equivalent amount of money been spent, that it would be spent on programs that are essentially discretionary.

Is there any evidence of a correlation between millitary spending and innovation, or a lack thereof? I'm certainly not aware of any. I won't have time to dig it up today, but the data I've seen does support a fairly clear link between more mundane "retail" level issues that government has a role in, like the amount of time it takes to get a permit to open a business, the clarity and enforceability of patent law, etc. There's also a pretty clear link between the quality and quantity of a nation's research institutions and innovation, which does tie into government spending and funding priorities, but the US has managed to do reasonably well in this area as well, despite the magnitude of our millitary spending.

Another important factor in fostering innovation is an ability to attract and retain the best minds, and now that talented people in China and India can pursue careers in their own countries, our capabilities in this area might take a serious hit.

In short, I don't think it's as simple as "No Millitary Spending = Outburst of Innovation," and all you need to verify that is to look at the trajectory of European science relative to the rest of the world since WWII.

Wait in line

'Till your time

Ticking clock

Everyone stop

Everyone's saying different things to me

Different things to me

Different things to me

Woooohh

Do you believe

In what you see

There doesn't seem to be anybody else who agrees with me

Do you believe

In what you see

Motionless wheel

Nothing is real

Wasting my time

In the waiting line

Do you believe in

What you see

Nine to five

Living lies

Everyday

Stealing time

Everyone's taking everything they can

Everything they can

Everything they can

Woooohh

Do you believe

In what you feel

It doesn't seem to be anybody else who agrees with me

Do you believe

In what you see

Motionless wheel

Nothing is real

Wasting my time

In the waiting line

Do you believe

In what you see

Ah and I'll shout and I'll scream

But I'd rather not be seen

And I'll hide away for another day

Do you believe

In what you see

Motionless wheel

Nothing is real

Wasting my time

In the waiting line

Do you believe

In what you see

Different things to me

Different things to me

Different things to me

Different things to me

Everything they can

How funny--that was two totally different reactions to what you wrote!!!!!!!!

Yes, I find JayB's continued insistence that Europe is a monolith devoid of invention, innovation and science compared to the rest of the world because of their draconian taxation and social practices terribly amusing, not to mention counter to fact.

As for "trajectory" one need only compare Europe relative to S. America and Africa to see who the real losers have been in the last 6 decades.

I could find a lot of better ways to spend the money we are wasting in Iraq.

Down here in Medford, they are trying to pass a $180 million bond to rebuild most of the schools. What's that, like 1 day of Iraq spending?

Also the VA hospital down here was built before/during WWII. They keep patching and fixing, but the place is a wreck. It is truly sad how we treat our veterans. For a billion dollars, hell, even 500 million, they could build a world class health care facility.

Unfortunately, the money being spent in Iraq is not actual money - it is all deficit.

Yes, I find JayB's continued insistence that Europe is a monolith devoid of invention, innovation and science compared to the rest of the world because of their draconian taxation and social practices terribly amusing, not to mention counter to fact.

As for "trajectory" one need only compare Europe relative to S. America and Africa to see who the real losers have been in the last 6 decades.

I missed the relative dearth of invention serving as the thrust of his argument.

and why only go back 6 decades?

I missed the relative dearth of invention serving as the thrust of his argument.

and why only go back 6 decades?

all you need to verify that is to look at the trajectory of European science relative to the rest of the world since WWII.

We're counting on Europe and Canada. They have a fraction of our millitary spending, and look at all of the world-changing innovation and high quality research that they crank out every year

manifesto would be a better term for his tome.

If the claim that there was an explicit tradeoff between millitary expenditures and research and innovation was valid, you'd expect Europe to be the clear global leader in this regard, with it's lead over the US increasing every year in direct proportion to the gap between the percent of GDP that the US dedicates to millitary spending, and the percentage of GDP that Europe dedicates to millitary spending. This just hasn't happened, so I think the fact that if anything, the relative contributions of Europeans to scientific discoveries and commercial innovation has declined since they became de-facto protectorates of the US suggests that the connection between millitary spending and innovation is not a direct or simple one, and depends on quite a few other variables that are at play in any given society.

I do think that Europe has deep structural problems that have contributed to it's decline as a driver of innovation relative to the rest of the world, and that those will become even more accute in the next 20-30 years, but that's a topic for another thread.

If the claim that there was an explicit tradeoff between millitary expenditures and research and innovation was valid, you'd expect Europe to be the clear global leader in this regard

No, I'd expect Japan to be the clear leader - constitutionally obligated to pacifism - minimal overseas military presence. And guess what? They are. yelrotflmao.gif