your favourite backcountry ski pack?

goldenchild

time to buy a new pack. Looking for one for mostly weekend excursions for backcountry skiing.

Looking for one in the 65-70L range. Larger capacity because alot of times will be tenting by myself which means I also carry the stove and pots etc.

So far I've looked at the Arcteryx Needle 65, Bora 65 and the Osprey Crescent 70.

Any opinion will be appreciated.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine fits inside as well, and its not an inflatable.

Funny thing is.....Most of the folks which I ski/climb with carry 40L packs, pads on the outside, and can still smoke a 4 day route, and that's with ice tools/skis and everything.

I guess it depends on a persons will (judgement), or lack of there of.

hellno3d.gif

other thoughts....the osprey you are looking at is $375. The BD that Arc is suggesting is $175. You could get the BD and then pick up a bigger one used and have two packs for the price of one. That way you can use the lighter pack when you are not solo, or weather looks solid enough for a bivy sack. Obviously how much crap you bring is a personal choice, but I've got a Arcteryx Khamsin 52, and a 5,000 CI Gregory, and the Gregory hasn't gotten used in 2 years since I figured out I could get everything in the Khamsin. Another factor that I would think about is the weight difference between the BD and the Osprey...over three pounds. I really like the new BD suspensions..great support and very light.

With the three pounds you save just in the pack suspension, you could go with 1) ski better 2)go with a warmer bag, higher R-value pad, more gas/food.

Now ERICB is a thinking person.

Here's my advice.....An now I'm being serious:

Purchase a six pack of beer/ bottled or cans;

Lay all the gear you (plan) to take with you on a trip right infront of you on the floor in a room with a lock, lock the door, and tell everyone that you will be ok, and not to bother you for a couple of hours.

Think it all out...work it out, think of every scenario, etc...

...And I swear you will come out with a light pack fit for your needs.

The days of heavy packs for skiers/ climbers are over....

....People just have to admit that all they wanna do is accomplish their chosen climb/ trip.

If you decide to look good doing it........Then I will personally send you a check towards a car wash, so you can look great while car camping.

I'm kinda impressed at how small some of yr packs are. This is what I bring for the winter and was curious if you guys carry the same and what size pack you put it in.

Keep mind this is for backcountry skiing mostly 2 days. No mountaineering in consideration, just powder searching smile.gif

Essentials:

-12 Down bag

down parka

Prolite 4S regular length sleeping pad

stove

fuel

pots

cup

spoon

lighter

small first aid kit

glasses

sunglasses

contact solution

spare ski pole basket

probe

shovel

jacket

spare gloves

tent (1-2 person), don't like bivy sack in the winter

2 x 1L nalgene. One in the sack, one clipeed in front for easy access

food

Nice to have

============

booties - for colder wknds

goggles

snow saw

whiskey smile.gif

probably some stuff I forgot to have.

with the probe, shovel, and tent on the outside I can only seem to fit everything else inside in a 60-70 L pack.

I think maybe the predator is the new version. As far as the list...looks relatively reasonable. Not sure why you need pots....I use one...a titanium 1.3L that is big enough to melt snow and only bring freeze dried for dinners. Also, Mark Twight might question bringing both a sub-zero bag, and down parka - wear your parka in the bag and bring a lighter/less bulky bag. I've not seen a lot of winter weather around here that cold anyways. I have less burly bag and augment it with a liner (6oz) and ultralight bivy (7oz) as well as wearing my puffy coat inside it as conditions warrant.

I guess I go back to my earlier comment about to packs. You are buying one pack that will accomodate your absolute worst case scenario.....solo touring in sub-zero weather...how often do you do this? If I can't find a partner, and night-time temps are going to be below zero Crystal Mountain is sounding pretty good.

Another pitch for ya - Arc'teryx Borea - 47 litres.

So basically overstuff it a little `till you get your gear down, or get a side pocket...Plus you will ALWAYS find a way to fill a bigger pack.

Add-on pockets, or a bungee is a "last ditch" solution.

I like the borea's pocket set up, the 7076 which flexes well in cold temps, and the kangaroo pocket with the side zip.

It allows you to organize like a briefcase with the pack on its side: main comp. and kang. zips are parallel.

^^This also allows for a bungee through the daisys.

http://www.arcteryx.com/product.aspx?Borea#

I'm *incidentally* selling one.

But I agree with EricB that used is good.

2 Used packs for the price of 1 new one = more options.

While I personally agree about 0 fahrenheit and ski areas vs backcountry, I have to say that I will never get away with the small packs that a lot of people use and that i sell.

i'm 6'5" and about 190. My belay parka is huge. My sleeping bag is huge. I compared kelly cordes' longjohns, and his were half the size of mine. If you're the size of mark twight or kelly cordes or anybody else under 5'9", well, you've got a huge advantage in terms of the size of your clothing and shelter...

cry.gifcry.gifcry.gif

If you have a large pack you will fill it. I use the same pack for summer winter 4 days or 2. I use a 30 deg bag, just take another thin layer to sleep in. I have started to use bivi sack in stead of tent. You will eventually figure out that packing light and if a little suffering is involved it is well worth it given the lighter pack and smaller pack size. My regular ski/climbing partner is smaller than I and I make it as a goal to pack as small as his. I have learned a lot of what I need vs. what I don't need in the process. This year I am getting new clothes that pack smaller even still. But no matter what I will still have to pack a larget tent...damn... Light is right as long as you don't suffer too much.

Suffering makes us stronger.....

You know what?.....I used to shit talk the Euros because they smell, talk shit about Americans, their cars are small, they speak a different language.....

.......But after all these years they have earned my deep respect in terms of light and fast climbing styles.......And they have no problem suffering up on a route, and totally move faster than most of us.

Sorta makes me sad to hear that folks are taking so much crap with them on routes, or tours to feel comfy, and at home.

Hell, why don't we just dehydrate some McDonalds double quarter pounders from the drive thu on the way to the mountain and take em' with us........

......Even better.....Supersize the dang thing!

Finding the climber who died with the most toys.....

come on! He wasn't gonna need those shades anymore :-P

Crackers makes a good point on size - 6'5 = you need more space. If you eat more or pack extras ppl don't usually bring (I always bring extra snacks and coffee/cocoa)

then get a pack that think fits.

Just don't forget about the option of 1 item outside the pack in a pocket/whatever.

i'm 6'5" and about 190. My belay parka is huge. My sleeping bag is huge. I compared kelly cordes' longjohns, and his were half the size of mine. If you're the size of mark twight or kelly cordes or anybody else under 5'9", well, you've got a huge advantage in terms of the size of your clothing and shelter...

cry.gifcry.gifcry.gif

Ha ha. But if you are small, you probably weigh a lot less yet still have to carry the same weight of fuel, stove, climbing gear (!), etc. I find that I am usually carrying a higher proportion of my body weight on my back than most people I climb with even though I have my system pretty dialed/lightweight/minimal!

That said, a 55-60 L pack should get you through anything up to 4 days in length in winter, 6 days or more in summer. And new lightweight designs will compress for shorter trips, won't weigh you down. Look for sub 4 lbs, I would say. Osprey and BD make some great options in this realm, and I am sure others. Course, could depend on how lightweight your system is. If you are willing to spend a lot on the latest greatest, you can carry a smaller pack. If you are still using your old school boy scout stove, etc., you might need a little bit bigger pack.