The Chute

CraigA

I need some help guys and gals! A friend of mine climbed Hood a couple of weeks ago and is trying to tell me the Chute was around 50 degrees (slope angle). Now I have climbed the south side twice and do not think its anything near 50 degrees. I have never taken out a gauge and checked it, but I would guess 35-40 max.. Has anyone ever checked it? I know it will fluctuate but I could not see it at 50 degrees.He is insisting it was WAY more than 45 degrees and I say he was tired [sleep] and possibly hallucinating [hell no] but since I can't show him anything in writing he's sticking to his 50 degree story.

Craig

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what's the chute? is that like, the "pearly gates" or whatever?

when i climbed the south side some years ago, the chute through "pearly gates" or whatever, seemed about 30 degrees, and the slope below, with the bergscrhund, about 40 degrees... just guessing.

I'd say it's about 40 degrees. I was up there on Monday and because of the snow piling up into slabs, it was maybe 45 at the very most. This is the most I suppose I've ever seen it.

A general rule of thumb is that a slope is 50 degrees (or over) when you feel like you can lean into it and touch it (or want to climb pied troisieme).

Bob Costas was right on. The course at Snowbasin is an overhanging 95 degrees. Only FanMan w/parachute and fan can stay on snow and make run safely. All others will perish. Did you see when they slowed down a turn in the mens downhill, where the ski was wobbling like Jello? Insanity.

Oh and the chute? mid to high 30's.

I estimate that the chute/pearly gates area can be anywhere from 35 to 45 depending on conditions. I seriously doubt that it gets over 45 degrees.

I walked down it last weekend and remember thinking that if it were any steeper you couldn't walk down it. I have been down it three times and up it once. Each time I would say it was 40 degrees.

50 degrees? Get off the crack pipe.

[ 03-08-2002: Message edited by: Rodchester ]

rat: Now that you mention it he was gone for a couple of weeks....hmmmmcrack addict: Hit the pipe! tongue.gif" border="0 Rodchester and R.P.: I agree

Thanks everyone, it appears as though the general consensus is just what I was thinking: 35-40 and a long freaking ways from 50. grin.gif" border="0

[ 03-08-2002: Message edited by: CraigA ]