Mitts for Aconcagua?????

irishmatthew

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Tis better to be too much than not enough. if you are investing in these mitts for the first time, get something you can use back home. Yeah, it gets a little cold on Aconcagua up high, but when I went, I never even cracked them out until I was a 17k and using an axe. Up to that, I just used fleece gloves. That said, there can be some terrible storms up there where it gets really cold, but unless you plan to climb Denali in the next couple of years or maybe the Himalayas you may want something more substantial like the OR mitt, but go with something medium range. As an aside, some of the medium weight mitts cost almost as much as say the OR mitt for~$100. The gloves I used on Aconcagua would not have worked on my Denali clip. Alos, I love the OR mitts. Burly, but really warm.

• 3 weeks later...

I am heading to Aconcagua in December also - I am planning on using my OR Meteor mits, with an expedition liner. I am also planning on bringing a spare pair of fleece gloves. What route are you taking?? I'd be interested in that if you want to post it in the international board.