Cheaper Whistler Tickets

JayB

Is the 7-11 in Squamish the best deal around for discount tickets? Anyone know if you can get multi-day tickets there.

If all of the cards fall into place we'll be there in early April and will probably buy tickets for 7 days, so multiply whatever a daily ticket costs by 7 and then by two and it seems that even saving a few percent could make it worth scrounging around a bit for the best deals.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't done the math lately to check, but it used to be that the 7-11 tix were cheaper unless you were staying long enough to buy a 10-day pass. I suspect that's still the case. Also, the degree of savings varies depending on the time of year, proximity of major holidays and stuff like that. April is starting to get into shoulder season, so you may find tickets at the mountain are discounted enough that the 7-11 tickets aren't that great a deal, if any. I'll try to get over to 7-11 in the next day or two and ask them what happens with their prices through the season, just to make sure.

If you can show that you're a resident of BC or Washington you can get an EDGE Card with 1, 5 or 10 days of skiing included and which provides discounts (supposedly the best available) all through the season.

With strategic use of the included days, it's possible to keep your average cost per day of skiing around $50-55 all season long.

EDGE Card adult ticket prices (savings off ticket window price) for 06/07:

Opening - Dec 22: $54 ($17)

Dec 23, 2006 - April 1: $64 ($13)

Apr 2 - Apr 8: $49 ($28)

Apr 9 - Apr 22: $49 ($22)

Apr 23 - June 3: $39 ($9)

Between EDGE cards and 7-11, there's no reason for anyone to pay the full ticket window price.

I haven't done the math lately to check, but it used to be that the 7-11 tix were cheaper unless you were staying long enough to buy a 10-day pass. I suspect that's still the case. Also, the degree of savings varies depending on the time of year, proximity of major holidays and stuff like that. April is starting to get into shoulder season, so you may find tickets at the mountain are discounted enough that the 7-11 tickets aren't that great a deal, if any. I'll try to get over to 7-11 in the next day or two and ask them what happens with their prices through the season, just to make sure.

Many thanks, Murray. Could you sell those tickets too if you wanted to, or would that cause hard feelings with the folks that run the 7-11?

If you can show that you're a resident of BC or Washington you can get an EDGE Card with 1, 5 or 10 days of skiing included and which provides discounts (supposedly the best available) all through the season.

With strategic use of the included days, it's possible to keep your average cost per day of skiing around $50-55 all season long.

EDGE Card adult ticket prices (savings off ticket window price) for 06/07:

Opening - Dec 22: $54 ($17)

Dec 23, 2006 - April 1: $64 ($13)

Apr 2 - Apr 8: $49 ($28)

Apr 9 - Apr 22: $49 ($22)

Apr 23 - June 3: $39 ($9)

Between EDGE cards and 7-11, there's no reason for anyone to pay the full ticket window price.

Argh. Another reason to lament the exile from Washington.

Many thanks, Murray. Could you sell those tickets too if you wanted to, or would that cause hard feelings with the folks that run the 7-11?

I would love to be able to, but Intrawest has had an exclusive deal with Southlands Corp (parent company or licensee of 7-11, at least in this area) for many years, so unless Southlands gives it up, there's no possibility of me snagging it. Besides, I think it's a case of Southlands buying, months in advance, a huge number of passes at a discount. Then they mark them up and sell them at a profit over the course of the season. I don't know if I could finance a purchase of that magnitude on my cash flow.

• 2 months later...
I'm heading up next weekend for 2 or 3 days and am wondering if anyone knows what the current price of tickets are at the 7-11.

The 7-11 tickets are usually $5-$10 cheaper than the ticket window price, which is currently $77. Seeing as this is high season, the discount is probably closer to $5 than $10. Unless you get an accommodation & lift ticket package, or qualify for an Edge Card, 7-11 is the cheapest you'll find.

Note that you have to get the 7-11 tickets in Vancouver, or in Squamish at the 7-11/Esso next to McDonalds. You can't buy them in Whistler or at the 7-11/Petro-Canada in Squamish.

Edited by PaulB

Thanks PaulB. Looks like the 1 day Edge tickets ($64 plus tax right now) are cheaper. Do you know if you can purchase more than one Edge ticket at a time and if you have to get them in advance?

Our group has some other discount options like Steven's Advantage cards and some ski show dicounts so we're trying to figure out the best options.

Looks like the 1 day Edge tickets ($64 plus tax right now) are cheaper. Do you know if you can purchase more than one Edge ticket at a time and if you have to get them in advance?

You don't really buy Edge tickets. You buy an Edge Card (requires proof that you live in BC or WA) which includes either 1 day for $70 or 5 days for $280. Once the included days are used up, you get a discounted rate (currently $64) every day you ski. Each person in your group would have to buy their own Edge Card.

You can either order the Cards online, and pick them up at Guest Services, or just buy them when you get there. If you link your credit card to the Edge Card, you can totally avoid the ticket windows and go right to the lifts. If you live in BC or WA, the Edge Card is the way to go.

I was out there over New Years and 7-11 tickets were $65 + tax = $68.

As I recall from the old days, the 7-11 tix are the same price all season, and you can buy them all at once and use them any time. Maybe the price drops in late season.

But the Edge Card is the way to go if you are a Washington State or Canadian (not just BC) resident. A tip: next year, buy your edge card before mid-Nov, and save even more.

Hope you're up there today. Looks like it may be the best day of the season.

From the East Coast,

Jealously yours,

Don

Edited by mrmack

With all the insiders info being passed around here, it seems like a good opportunity to ask where do you go on Friday nights now that the Boot Pub is closed? Is it true?

Heading up there this next weekend and really like the uh, scene, there on Friday night. The last time we were there a group of swingers from Bellevue took to a full on mash fest/amateur strip show for the frothing crowd. Good times.

The Boot! Can't say I was a regular there, but I do recall doing a bit of pre-liminary vow-testing with the then-fiancee' on the drive between Whistler and Lilloet after a certain relation of your's bachelor party.

"So, what'd you guys do last night."

"Well, uh, we ended up drinking quite a bit and then we went to this low-end strip joint and that had a mix of pros and lifties dancing for cash, and then the crowd goaded some late-30's trophy-wife swinger chicks from Bellevue into flashing the crowd and making out onstage."

The fact that this testimony brought forth laughter instead of a scowl was a very good sign.

"UP...ON...STAGE!"* Hahaha.

I could swear I saw Extremo there in the crowd, scoring free table dances and showing the rest of the crowd how to..RIP IT UP!! LOL...

I doubt that'll be a high priority couples-destination for us when we're out there in April, but do advise on the status after the trip.

With all the insiders info being passed around here, it seems like a good opportunity to ask where do you go on Friday nights now that the Boot Pub is closed? Is it true?
It is true that The Boot has closed. The building is still standing though, and has reportedly become something of a squatters camp for ultra-cheap ski bums. I haven't heard if anyplace in town has picked up the uh, scene, from Friday nights.

Hope you're up there today. Looks like it may be the best day of the season.
Inbounds was probably good for about two or three runs before everything was tracked up. Luckily, the backcountry was an endless canvass of untracked, hip to waist deep powder, with only about a dozen or so of us playing in it.

JayB, I heard that all Shell stations in Washington state are giving coupons for 2 for 1 tickets with every fillup. My friends are stocking up for a trip. Apparently they are also good on weekends. Can any Washingtonians confirm this? Might be worth asking friends to use the Shell stations and mail you the coupons.

The shell deal is real and appears to be statewide. Basically buy 10 gallons of gas, then take you're receipt inside and get a stamped voucher. The voucher is good in state also, but with a bunch of stupid restrictions like Crystal after 4PM on Saturdays wtf. Anyhow, no restrictions at all for whistler. Definitely beats the hell out of the edge card. Glad I only bought one day on mine. I'll be up there this weekend, so hopefully the goods are good.