Racist Speech Illegal in England?

JayB

"Schoolgirl arrested for refusing to study with non-English pupils"

Link

I'm not familiar with laws governing speech/action in England. Is the "section five racial public order offence" referenced in this article something new? Or has this been the law of the land in England for years. I can vaguely recall an article about a guy in England getting arrested and being charged with a hate crime for telling a policeman that his (the policeman's) horse was gay, but I've never heard of anything like a "racial public order offense" before.

Quite odd that they feel they're in a position to chide us about the erosion of our liberties, unless they're offering their experience as a cautionary tale.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unsavory speech and ideas are becoming outlawed around the globe:

"a French parliamentary vote would make it a crime to deny that Armenians suffered "genocide" at the hands of the Turks."LINK

Is the US far behind?

LINK

It's all bullshit of course. You otter rebel.

You might find it ironic then that the Nobel Prize winner in Literature, Orhan Pamuk, was prosecuted for saying that the Armenian Genocide DID HAPPEN.

Daily News Article

I don't think this stemmed from Labor's efforts in '03 to create more protection against hate crimes. The UK, and most of the EU, basically lacks the wide degree of protection of speech that might be thought of as 'harmful'...

As for Turkey, Armenia and the genocide, well, Turkey does have a point that it was a different government and a different country, and they have offered repeatedly to open their archives for review. This does not change the fact that hundreds of thousands of Armenians died in Anatolia in during the first world war.