signs our social services suck

Gary_Yngve

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that "Senate's #1 spender" label accurate?

Since the war (at 9 BILLION dollars per month, $300 million/day, $12.5 million/hr, $208,000/sec) is by leaps and bounds the largest expenditure of the guvmint and Cantwell doesn't support duh war, I'd call BS on that label.

You otter use yer noggin.

I view it as a sign that this person is lazy.

Of course the social services are lacking too. But I dont think that is any new development at all.

I think the war in Iraq is monetarily an inconvenience only to those people who cannot digest the reasoning for it. It really isn't directly related to the matter of social services. Yeah some people will talk budget money spent here doesn't allow money to be used there. I don't think that is always true either. The US government has not shyed away from budget deficits in the past.

Think outside the box. If you had not spent the last few years at some liberal school in western Washington then it might help. Time to transfer?

I hope this thead title is tongue-in-cheek, Gary. Unemployment is at historic lows - virtually non-existent. I'm sure there are other factors in this guy's life that the story conveniently omitted. Drug use, perhaps? Or maybe something as simple as failure to maintain proper personal hygiene? If your outlook regarding this is sincere, then you have no business preparing our kids for a future beyond government servitude.

Somehow a few dozen million folks in his demographic category manage to work their way through financial hardships of this sort without volunteering for, so how anyone can invert this from a personal shortcoming to a blanket indictment of the entire country's social services is beyond me.

The odds are pretty good that all of us will be laid low by circumstances that we could neither forsee nor control at some point in our lives, and we'll have to rely on something beyond ourselves - friends, family, the state, whatever - to help us make it though. There's no shame in accepting help when you need it, but there should be quite a bit of shame in refusing to do everything you can to get yourself out of the bind once you've accepted the assistance, or in taking more from your friends or family or society than you really need to get back on your feet. I can pretty much guarantee that if this guy had actually gone to see a social worker and explained his situations he would have probaby been put in touch with a number of agencies that would have been willing to help with housing, employment, etc and would have given the guy access to some of the tools he needed to help himself, but it doesn't seem as though that was his objective. The real shame here is that the money that's going to fund this guy's autoincarceration could have been spent on people who actually need it.

I hope this thead title is tongue-in-cheek, Gary. Unemployment is at historic lows - virtually non-existent. I'm sure there are other factors in this guy's life that the story conveniently omitted. Drug use, perhaps? Or maybe something as simple as failure to maintain proper personal hygiene?

Certainly tongue-and-cheek and provocative, as it's in Spray. I agree with your points mostly, though mental illness is something that may need medical treatment that is unavailable to them and untreated will leave them vulnerable to substance abuse and complicate the process of finding work, housing, etc.