Leuthold Couloir

glennm

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am headed down to Hood this week-end. Does anyone have updated beta on the requirements to use the chairlift? I have not been down there for a number of years but if I remember correctly it cost about $10 and you need to have an avalanche beacon. Is that still the case? Can climbers still use the lift?

quote:

Originally posted by Wopper:
I am headed down to Hood this week-end. Does anyone have updated beta on the requirements to use the chairlift? I have not been down there for a number of years but if I remember correctly it cost about $10 and you need to have an avalanche beacon. Is that still the case? Can climbers still use the lift?

I'm pretty sure Timberline no longer offers single lift rides to climbers. Also, Palmer is shut down, so it would only get you to the top of the Miracle Mile.

[ 03-01-2002: Message edited by: Winter ]

I have never used the cat, but I think the requirement was an MLU, not a beacon.

If you can afford a day of skiing, you could buy a lift ticket and take the last Palmer cat ride to the top of the lift (around 3:00pm I think). Not the most convenient time, but saves the slog.

I have never used the cat, but I think the requirement was an MLU, not a beacon.

If you can afford a day of skiing, you could buy a lift ticket and take the last Palmer cat ride to the top of the lift (around 3:00pm I think). Not the most convenient time, but saves the slog.

quote:

Originally posted by imorris:

The snow cat costs $100, whether 1 person or 10 people ride. You can pre-arrange a pickup at the alpine lodge. It will eliminate that slog up the Palmer snowfield. They require that you have either an MLU OR a cell phone. I'd recommend the phone over the MLU. You can't order a pizza with an MLU.

Climbed Leuthold on Wednesday and found the conditions to be quite good. Firm snow in the couloir, some wind slab on the traverse from the saddle. Left the lot at 4:15 - would recommend an earlier start due to a fairly significant amount of ice fall experienced in the couloir.

quote:

Originally posted by David Byrne:
Climbed Leuthold on Wednesday and found the conditions to be quite good. Firm snow in the couloir, some wind slab on the traverse from the saddle. Left the lot at 4:15 - would recommend an earlier start due to a fairly significant amount of ice fall experienced in the couloir.

Dude when are the Talking Heads gonna reunite? ( I imagine you hear that alot?)